Are motorhomers somehow different?

candapack

Probably been asked before, but why is the motorhome section of the forum so much more active than the caravan and canvas sections?

As a former caravanner I'm sure I had many issues that might have been addressed by forums such as this had they been around back then.

(While I'm here, do the moderators owe any duty of care to the poor souls who now almost exclusively inhabit Chatterbox? I used to post there, but luckily escaped before any permanent damage.)

stevec176 - 2021-05-31 1:59 AM

Simple, we're friendly and sociable which is why we wave to each other

You sell us short. From a male point of view. Good looking. trophy wives (motorhomes are the ultimate chick magnet) financially adept (i.e. able to pay for a motorhome) useful and practical at DIY (another chick magnet especially when it extends to home improvements), wine experts, bon vivants, gourmet chefs on a hob. Usefully first to empty the cassette. What is not to like?

candapack - 2021-05-30 5:20 PM

Probably been asked before, but why is the motorhome section of the forum so much more active than the caravan and canvas sections?

I assume it's because forum members are ( mostly ) past or present owners of motorhomes who read MMM - a Motorhome magazine ?

:-|

As a former caravanner I'm sure I had many issues that might have been addressed by forums such as this had they been around back then.

(While I'm here, do the moderators owe any duty of care to the poor souls who now almost exclusively inhabit Chatterbox? I used to post there, but luckily escaped before any permanent damage.)

As you ‘only’ registered on the Out&AboutLive forums in 2013, you may well be unaware of their background.

The original Warners motorhome-related online forum started life around Year 2000, was called the “MMM Forum” and was a simple one-size-fits-all text-only application. Usage was initially restricted to subscribers to the MMM Magazine publication and this was later extended to readers of that magazine with access to the forum gained via a code printed within that magazine. There was no fee to join or use the MMM forum.

Then, in 2005, Warners decided to replace the MMM Forum. Two new applications were proposed, one having a framework directly linked to the Warners ‘leisure’ magazines published at that time and the other’s framework reflecting each of those magazines' subject matter. The latter proposal was chosen and the framework you see now is essentially what the Out&AboutLive forums started out with.

It had been decided (with some anxiety on Warners part) that the O&AL forums should be free of charge and open to all. Users of the MMM Forum had been a relatively well behaved and sensible bunch interested in discussing motorhome-related subjects, and these people naturally transferred their allegiance to the Motorhome Matters forum. However, the open-to-all decision soon backfired, turning that forum into a maelstrom of drivel. The Chatterbox forum was rapidly added to the O&AL framework to siphon off general discussions including the dross. Also added was the Hints and Tips forum that (with hindsight) was a well-intentioned error.

When the MMM Forum ‘single focus’ forum mutated into the ‘multi focus’ O&AL set of forums, there were already several well established dedicated caravan-related forums that had a large active user-population. There was no particular incentive for those people to participate in the caravan part of the O&AL framework and (as will be apparent from the number of threads in the O&AL “Motorhomes” section versus the number of threads in the “Caravans” section) there’s never been a great deal of activity there. I notice (with some surprise) that I’ve posted to the Caravan Chat forum over the years more times than I would have anticipated

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=1&keywords=&author=derek+uzzell&days=&Submit=Search

and I suspect that, when a question is asked on the Caravan Chat forum (and noticed!) it’s a motorcaravanner that responds to it.

The nearest thing to the O&AL forums is the "Practical Caravan” set of forums

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/

These focus very much on caravans and caravanning and although there is a “Motorhome Discussions” section, there is hardly any activity there nowadays. As responses to motorhome-related enquiries are normally provided by caravanners who lack motorhome background and expertise, the section has little genuine value.

As for the Chattebox forum, in reply to a comment there a few days ago I posted as follows

thebishbus - 2021-05-23 8:06 AM

I think there is not much chance of Chatterbox improving, until the moderators decide that the persistent trolls on here have had enough rope.

Brian B.

You are confusing Out&AboutLive forum MODERATORS with Out&AboutLive forum ADMINISTRATORS.

I believe that, of the original small group of O&AL moderators, only Keithl and I still take an active role. As I’ve explained several times in the past, although the moderators have significant editorial capability where forum threads and their content is concerned, only the administrators (who are all Warners staff) can issue yellow or red cards to forum members.

The possibility of extending administrator powers to moderators so that they could temporarily or permanently ban people from forum participation was discussed quite recently. However, as neither Keithl nor I want to do this where the Chatterbox forum is concerned, the idea seems to have been shelved.

The ‘official’ view is that the guidance in the FORUM CONTENTS STANDARDS entry (3rd entry down on the Chatterbox homepage) is crystal-clear, as is the advice in the two preceding entries.

Although I fail to understand the fascination in the stuff that dominates Chatterbox, if political posturing were forbidden I don’t know what would be posted to this forum instead that would ‘improve’ it. Would there be jokes, recipes, pictures of cats, poems etc. and, if so, would that be any better?

curdle - 2021-05-30 8:05 PM

You sell us short. From a male point of view. Good looking. trophy wives (motorhomes are the ultimate chick magnet) financially adept (i.e. able to pay for a motorhome) useful and practical at DIY (another chick magnet especially when it extends to home improvements), wine experts, bon vivants, gourmet chefs on a hob. Usefully first to empty the cassette. What is not to like?[/quote

So after owning a MH, and PVC for 30 years, I find that I not properly qualified. I am not a wine expert, but I do know that alcohol is a poison. Further I am neither a bon vivant, or a gourmet chef on a hob. However a former girl friend of 3 months standing, did appreciate my desserts. She has now been my wife and partner for 45 years. (Would a trophy wife last as long?) Perhaps I can claim age exemption, for my apparent short comings?

Alan

curdle - 2021-05-30 6:05 PM

stevec176 - 2021-05-31 1:59 AM

Simple, we're friendly and sociable which is why we wave to each other

You sell us short. From a male point of view. Good looking. trophy wives (motorhomes are the ultimate chick magnet) financially adept (i.e. able to pay for a motorhome) useful and practical at DIY (another chick magnet especially when it extends to home improvements), wine experts, bon vivants, gourmet chefs on a hob. Usefully first to empty the cassette. What is not to like?

One of the reasons I love this forum is the British sense of humour totally awesome - thank you.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-05-31 8:55 AM

As you ‘only’ registered on the Out&AboutLive forums in 2013, you may well be unaware of their background.

The original Warners motorhome-related online forum started life around Year 2000, was called the “MMM Forum” and was a simple one-size-fits-all text-only application. Usage was initially restricted to subscribers to the MMM Magazine publication and this was later extended to readers of that magazine with access to the forum gained via a code printed within that magazine. There was no fee to join or use the MMM forum.

Then, in 2005, Warners decided to replace the MMM Forum. Two new applications were proposed, one having a framework directly linked to the Warners ‘leisure’ magazines published at that time and the other’s framework reflecting each of those magazines' subject matter. The latter proposal was chosen and the framework you see now is essentially what the Out&AboutLive forums started out with.

It had been decided (with some anxiety on Warners part) that the O&AL forums should be free of charge and open to all. Users of the MMM Forum had been a relatively well behaved and sensible bunch interested in discussing motorhome-related subjects, and these people naturally transferred their allegiance to the Motorhome Matters forum. However, the open-to-all decision soon backfired, turning that forum into a maelstrom of drivel. The Chatterbox forum was rapidly added to the O&AL framework to siphon off general discussions including the dross. Also added was the Hints and Tips forum that (with hindsight) was a well-intentioned error.

When the MMM Forum ‘single focus’ forum mutated into the ‘multi focus’ O&AL set of forums, there were already several well established dedicated caravan-related forums that had a large active user-population. There was no particular incentive for those people to participate in the caravan part of the O&AL framework and (as will be apparent from the number of threads in the O&AL “Motorhomes” section versus the number of threads in the “Caravans” section) there’s never been a great deal of activity there. I notice (with some surprise) that I’ve posted to the Caravan Chat forum over the years more times than I would have anticipated

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=1&keywords=&author=derek+uzzell&days=&Submit=Search

and I suspect that, when a question is asked on the Caravan Chat forum (and noticed!) it’s a motorcaravanner that responds to it.

The nearest thing to the O&AL forums is the "Practical Caravan” set of forums

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/

These focus very much on caravans and caravanning and although there is a “Motorhome Discussions” section, there is hardly any activity there nowadays. As responses to motorhome-related enquiries are normally provided by caravanners who lack motorhome background and expertise, the section has little genuine value.

As for the Chattebox forum, in reply to a comment there a few days ago I posted as follows

thebishbus - 2021-05-23 8:06 AM

I think there is not much chance of Chatterbox improving, until the moderators decide that the persistent trolls on here have had enough rope.

Brian B.

You are confusing Out&AboutLive forum MODERATORS with Out&AboutLive forum ADMINISTRATORS.

I believe that, of the original small group of O&AL moderators, only Keithl and I still take an active role. As I’ve explained several times in the past, although the moderators have significant editorial capability where forum threads and their content is concerned, only the administrators (who are all Warners staff) can issue yellow or red cards to forum members.

The possibility of extending administrator powers to moderators so that they could temporarily or permanently ban people from forum participation was discussed quite recently. However, as neither Keithl nor I want to do this where the Chatterbox forum is concerned, the idea seems to have been shelved.

The ‘official’ view is that the guidance in the FORUM CONTENTS STANDARDS entry (3rd entry down on the Chatterbox homepage) is crystal-clear, as is the advice in the two preceding entries.

Although I fail to understand the fascination in the stuff that dominates Chatterbox, if political posturing were forbidden I don’t know what would be posted to this forum instead that would ‘improve’ it. Would there be jokes, recipes, pictures of cats, poems etc. and, if so, would that be any better?

Chatterbox used to be entertaining when the likes of Sid posted his jokes but he has vanished and Brexit gave birth to BBB.

Brexit begat "Male bovine excrement"

Archived