Pipe "Burst" in Webasto diesel heating system

HymerVan

Last year due to Covid Lockdowns etc the van was little used and consequently it seems that when the van was drained down I did not drain the water system fully. Having just partially refilled the fresh water (to sterilise the tanks) I discovered quite quickly that a pipe has parted company in the Webasto heating system.(see photo) . I think this is push fit sort of connection because the upper part of the same pipe is much more pushed in so I am guesting that the expansion of water has created a "push unfit" as it were. I am hoping that the dealer/manufacturer can refit fairly easily and that no other water damage will have been done.

Even though this could be a DIY repair I don't have suitable tools or the manual dexterity to fix it but I wonder if anyone has come acreoss this sort of thing before.

IMG_2148.jpeg.8812a2f3a4150493ce70d19932da4b15.jpeg

That is a compression fitting with a loose olive behind the nut. You will have to loosen the nut, refit the nut the nut and olive on the pipe and then refit and retighten. Five minutes work with the right tools.

Keith.

IMG_2148.jpg.d3a899c27787435c24e415ef4e415abd.jpg

Keith is absolutely correct.

It would take quite a bit of force to push the olive off so I suspect it was insufficiently tightened in the first place. You may find it easier to fit a new olive as the old olive may have become distorted. As Keith mentioned, a five minute job.

Thats very reassuring. Thanks Keith.

I will still have to take it back to Fife though because the state of my hands (bent fingers (dupeytrens) and a bit of arthritis make it too difficult for me to work in such a confined space :-D

Darren at East Neuk has picked up my e-mail and "Jack Frost" is the prime suspect. There is a mixer valve adjacent which will need to be checked. However he will look at both items on Monday which is great.

There looks to be a low point in the bend of that pipework and if so no matter how much you try to drain it some water will always remain.

It may be worth asking if the pipe can be re-routed slightly to remove that apparent low point and allow proper draining?

The only way I know to drain fully is to blow through when empty but that requires an access point and a good bit of puff plus experience suggests that it can cause an airlock when refilled.

Tracker - 2021-07-03 1:14 PM

There looks to be a low point in the bend of that pipework and if so no matter how much you try to drain it some water will always remain.

It may be worth asking if the pipe can be re-routed slightly to remove that apparent low point and allow proper draining?

The only way I know to drain fully is to blow through when empty but that requires an access point and a good bit of puff plus experience suggests that it can cause an airlock when refilled.

Rich thanks for this point.

There is actually a drain point at the lowest point in the Webasto system but I struggle to use it (see above) so it is my own fault to an extent.

But I am looking on the bright side. East Neuk will fix it and I am able to enjoy the van.

Van fixed this morning. It took 25 mins but that included refitting the pipe, checking the mixer valve, refilling the water system and topping up the anti-freeze in the Webasto.

There can't be many dealers with the ability and willingness to react at very short notice to fit a customer in and to do it in a cheerful and welcoming way. I am very grateful to them.

Archived