campervan rear passenger

Mark Wilkes

Please can anyone help. We have a 2007 Citroen relay campervan. It was built in may 2007 and I have found on a website ( can't remember which one) that if your van was built prior to October 2007 then you can carry rear passengers without seatbelts. I know this has its risks but my wife is disabled and carries an exemption certificate from the Dr but it costs £60 and she only travels in the back when she is really bad and lies on the bed. If this is correct then we can save some money so please can anyone advise me. I have looked on .gov and been to the police but can't find the answer. Thank you.

Prior to 2007 for a time (I don't know how long exactly), 2 point setbelts were required for rear passengers. I had a 56 reg motorhome which had 2 lap belts (2 point) on sideways facing seats. The following year the same model motorhome went from being advertised as a 4 berth to a 2 berth. The only difference being the lap belts being completely removed.

Try googling for when seatbelts became compulsory in motorhomes/campers.

Here is a fairly good summary that should answer your question...

http://www.motorhomeinfo.co.uk/seat-belts-in-motorhomes/

I would add that if there is an available seat with a seatbelt then this seat MUST be used in preference to an unbelted seat. So a passenger sitting in an unbelted seat in the rear when there is a belted seat in the front available would be illegal, but the medical exemption certificate should overrule this requirement.

Keith.

Thanks for all the replies but i am still a little confused. Reading Keith's post, if our camper van is built before October 2007 and there are no seatbelts in the back then can someone travel in the back legally ? Some of the posts seem to say yes and some no ! I am sorry i am slow to get a definitive answer but i don't want to break the law. Thanks again.

Mark Wilkes - 2021-07-08 8:46 PM

...if our camper van is built before October 2007 and there are no seatbelts in the back then can someone travel in the back legally ?

Yes. But if you have an accident or are stopped by the police they MAY deem you to be carrying passengers in a dangerous manner so Caveat Emptor.

Keith.

Won't help you (sorry, no aim to make light of your truly awful situation) but after a lunchtime menu del Dia in Spain that includes a bottle of wine (my wife does not drink which was an overpowering element of attraction 42 year ago) i tend to blissfully snooze during post lunch Siesta time whilst mobile in the motorhome in complete contravention of the law. I figure any sanction worth it, if caught since I am not drink-driving.

Mark is the £60.00 fee an annual charge for exemption? If so we need to crowdfund this to remove any element of doubt. Let us know.

Thanks Curdle. The Dr didn't charge the first year but the receptionist tried asking for £60 last year and i said we didn't pay previously so we shouldn't pay and the fee was waived. With all of the trouble with the covid situation and not being able to see our Dr at all then we expect a charge this year. I will not be happy paying it if we don't need to as it could be spent on other things my wife needs. Thank you for the offer but there are more deserving people that could benefit from such funding. The exemption runs out in 7 days so i will ring them tomorrow and see what they say. Thank you.

Mark Wilkes - 2021-07-08 2:42 PM

Please can anyone help. We have a 2007 Citroen relay campervan. It was built in may 2007 and I have found on a website ( can't remember which one) that if your van was built prior to October 2007 then you can carry rear passengers without seatbelts...

This may be where you saw the ‘October 2007’ reference

https://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/motorhome-seatbelts

Mark Wilkes - 2021-07-08 2:42 PM

It was built in may 2007 and I have found on a website ( can't remember which one) that if your van was built prior to October 2007 then you can carry rear passengers without seatbelts.

And to confirm that the October 2007 date is for MH's REGISTERED before that date, and NOT built before that date.

So when was your MH actually registered Mark?

Keith.

Hi Keith, now it makes sense. Our campervan was built in 2007 but not made into a camper till after 2010 I think but definitely not before 2007, so I think to be safe we will see the Dr for another exemption. Thank you all for helping clear that up for me.

Archived