Fiat Ducato Roller Team Fridge

ramsay

Hi my fridge works when hooked up to 240v When on the battery setting it does not get as cold as when hooked up to 240v is this normal ?

Also when on the gas setting the ignition clicks but does not light the gas. I have took the outside cover off to have a look to see if there is a spark but I cant seem to see any spark but I do here the ignition clicking ? anyone have any ideas what could be causing the gas not to light ? I also took the galvanised cover off to have more access to look.

gas-4.JPG.f98665c99c19e385aff0ae0fb2a5ec69.JPG

12V less efficient than 220 is normal.

Usually 12V operation is only a function to maintain the temperature already reached on hook or gas.

As for the lack of spark, it is probably an electrical problem but to help you we need to know the wiring diagram of your vehicle.

It could also be just dirty electrodes. Or too far from each other.

Can you hear the sound (click) of the piezo ignition?

What do you mean when you say "but I do here the ignition clicking" ?

Hi I will have a look for a wire diagram not sure if I got one with the motorhome it's a 2003 model fiat ducato roller team. I can hear a clicking when you turn on the gas function but I can't see any spark.

It's never worked on the gas since I bought the van around 1 year ago it was private sale.

Follow the direction of the gas pipe and look in adjacent cupboards, etc, for a gas valve. It may just be turned off. And assuming that everything else gas powered works correctly?

And the fridge will only work on 12 V when the engine is running, so this may explain your 'lack of cooling'.

Keith.

Ramsay

It’s always useful to have an EXACT identification of a motorhome or piece of equipment when a ‘technical’ enquiry is made.

This information may not be straightforward to obtain, though this YouTube video for a 2003 Roller Team “Auto Roller 15P” displays the motorhome’s model on the cab door.

The video shows the fridge and this is clearly a smallish-capacity Dometic/Electrolux product.

Your photo confirm’s that your fridge should be similar and - as buddy has said - there should be a paper label inside the fridge identifying the model (though after 18 years the label may not be readable).

This Roller Team Manual

https://www.rollerteammotorhomes.co.uk/assets/downloads/files/5ee84df67e1355c44f1c888020cb2d309e29ee3b.PDF

is for motorhomes younger than your vehicle, but includes the following advice

Gas Safety Valves

Gas flows from the gas tank via a regulator to a set of safety shut off valves that supply each individual appliance in the vehicle.

The valves allow isolation of a single appliance without affecting the operation of other equipment.

Each valve has a symbol fixed to it that indicates which appliance it is supplying.

The location of the isolation valves varies from model to model, and depending on the layout some vehicles may have two individual sets of valves.

Please familiarise yourself with the location of these valves before using your vehicle for the first time.

It’s the norm - certainly for ‘coachbuilt’ models - for the gas isolation valves to be located inside the motorhome, often in the kitchen area, and an example image of a group of isolation valves (rightmost valve is for fridge) is attached below. The valves should be easily accessible, but that doesn’t mean they will always be sited in an obvious place. (My Rapido motorhome’s set of three gas isolation valves happens to be in a cut-away towards the front of the left side-wall in the lower part of a cupboard under the kitchen sink.)

As Breakaleg has mentioned above, if a gas appliance has not been in operation for a while it can take a significant amount of time before air in the gas pipework feeding the appliance is expelled and for a reliable supply of gas to reach the appliance’s burner-unit. If there is nothing obstructing the gas supply to your fridge (ie. if the fridge’s gas isolation valve is not closed, or if there is no fault with the fridge itself) as you’ve exposed the burner assembly, if gas is getting there a) you should be able to smell it, b) you might be able to hear it hissing and c) you might be able to light it (CAREFULLY) with a taper or gas-lighter.

It’s quite likely that your fridge’s burner assembly and gas flue would benefit from a damn good clean (and possibly replacing the gas jet would be wise) given the motorhome’s age. This link may be useful

https://motor-roam.co.uk/dometic-electrolux-fridge-burner-and-flue-servicing

and this video should help with cleaning the burner

2052830849_isolationvalves.jpg.a6de568c27c29d475bb539cde48896c1.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help here. Still can't find any gas isolating valves I'm lost where they are I have checked every cupboard, in bathroom, check under traveling seats where hot water gas pump is? The motorhome is Fiat Ducato Roller Team. 2003 2LD it's not the U shape lounge version I have 2 bunk beds and toilet at the rear.

I have attached the label spec that's inside the fridge.

Took the flue cover off again today and I can see a spark now so it's looking like a gas supply issue so need to check firstly if gas isolator valve is open.

20210722_171116.jpg.95df8fefb1bddeadeb5f9684e75c3b91.jpg

Your fridge is a Dometic RM 6361 (88 litre capacity), with automatic gas ignition (when gas is the selected energy source). As it works satisfactorily on 230V power, the cooling circuit is working. Reduced performance on 12V is fairly normal. The 12V supply is not intended to be sufficient for initial cooling (which should be via 230V or gas), but only to maintain cooling once down to temperature.

A manual is downloadable here: https://tinyurl.com/9dtz5a44

If other gas appliances are working normally the supply is good. The troubleshooting portion of the manual merely states that if the igniter can be heard working the problem is an absence of gas. This could be because the supply cock is turned off, because the gas jet has become blocked, because the thermocouple has failed, or because the igniter has failed. Note that while the igniter is working the indicator light should flash. (It is unclear whether no flashing indicator indicates a failed igniter.)

To find the gas cock, follow the gas pipework from the regulator in the gas locker into the van, and then follow its route until you come to a (usually) three way cock similar to that illustrated in Derek's 17 July post. This will usually be in a (fairly!) readily accessible position, often near the hob/cooker, somewhere between the cooker, fridge, and heater (as gas pipes will radiate out from it to feed those appliances). Below the kitchen worktop in front of, or near, the sink, possibly behind a dummy drawer front, for example.

Once found, and with the gas turned on at the cock (the one with the snowflake symbol), get someone to hold down the rotary temperature selection button to open the gas supply to the burner while you are outside with the lower grill removed and a) listen to see if you can hear the gas hissing and if so b) try igniting the gas manually (gas lighter or matches). If the gas ignites continue holding the rotary temperature switch down for a further 10 - 15 seconds (as described in the manual) and then gently release the button. The flame should continue burning. If the gas did not ignite it is probable the jet is blocked. If the gas ignites but extinguishes after the rotary button is released, either the thermocouple has failed, or it is misaligned and is not sitting in the gas flame. It is a process of elimination.

Regarding the gas isolation valves, as I said above "The valves should be easily accessible, but that doesn’t mean they will always be sited in an obvious place”. In practice it should not be necessary to dismantle half the motorhome to access the valves, but they might be protected by a quickly removable panel/flap or postioned where it’s unlikely they will be operated accidentally.

As an Auto Roller 2 apparently has its gas hob, fridge and gas heater in close proximity to each other (image attached below) it would make some sort of sense to site gas isolation valves near to those appliances, particularly as the gas-locker is also on that side of the vehicle. Suggest you check very carefully in the cupboard to the right of the fridge and see if pulling out the drawers reveals the valves. They have got to be somewhere...

928679321_AutoRoller2.png.c40af6ae01e5ce189065cac2815c471e.png

If you still don’t have a manual for your Dometic RM 6361 fridge, you’ll find one here

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/40758/Dometic-Rm-6200-L.html?page=8#manual

For igniting the gas, the need to press in the rotary switch (and keep it pressed in for another 10-15 seconds) is explained on Pages 7 and 8.

(Still worth you tracking down the gas ’stop cock’ valves, just in case a problem occurred with one of the gas-fuelled appliances and you needed to isolate it from the gas supply and keep the other appliances operable.)

Archived