Taking the car home.

Archiesgrandad

I wonder if anyone can help with some information on this. We have sold our home in SW France and are returning to live in the UK in October, for health and family reasons. I had thought that we would be able to pack all pour swag into the removals van and drive back to UK in the French reg car with the dog, with the intention of going to a short term rental whilst we sort out our long term plans. It seems we can't do that because we will not be allowed to drive our French reg car if we do not have a french address. We will not be legally able to drive the car out of the Chunnel terminal. If we were going the opposite way we would be able to drive a UK reg car in France for 6 months, during which timewe could re-register the car.. Apparently the is no reciprical arrangement. We are not prepared to set out do anything illegal, we have enough problems without that, so does anyone know if this right? AGD

Guest pelmetman
Archiesgrandad - 2021-07-22 10:36 PM

I wonder if anyone can help with some information on this. We have sold our home in SW France and are returning to live in the UK in October, for health and family reasons. I had thought that we would be able to pack all pour swag into the removals van and drive back to UK in the French reg car with the dog, with the intention of going to a short term rental whilst we sort out our long term plans. It seems we can't do that because we will not be allowed to drive our French reg car if we do not have a french address. We will not be legally able to drive the car out of the Chunnel terminal. If we were going the opposite way we would be able to drive a UK reg car in France for 6 months, during which timewe could re-register the car.. Apparently the is no reciprical arrangement. We are not prepared to set out do anything illegal, we have enough problems without that, so does anyone know if this right? AGD

What are they going to do if you get caught? :-| .........

Deport you? :D .......

Alternatively I've used these people for transporting a car ;-) .........

https://www.shiply.com/

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2021-07-23 9:42 PM

pelmetman - 2021-07-23 6:35 PM

Why don't you answer his question

Since you voted for Brexit you must know what it involves *-)

Well going back to 1979 when I imported a new Honda Accord from Gibraltar to the UK, I did all the importation paperwork prior to arriving in the UK so that when I did arrive at customs I had a set of number plates waiting for me ;-) ............

pelmetman - 2021-07-24 11:04 AM

Well going back to 1979 when I imported a new Honda Accord from Gibraltar to the UK, I did all the importation paperwork prior to arriving in the UK so that when I did arrive at customs I had a set of number plates waiting for me ;-) ............

That was when we were in the EU / Common Market.

You recommended Brexit and voted for it.

Now the guy is in trouble because of it

Are you just going to abandon him?

You should be telling us what the police are going to do

I don't know - but I have seen them seize and crush vehicles which are not legal on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you for your thoughts, as I understand it then, I cannot drive my French car in the UK once I have notified the French authorities that I have left, and I am obliged to do that straight away, without first getting the car re-licensed in the UK first. I can, however, drive my UK reg car in France, even if I am still resident in France, provided that it is fully taxed, insured and MOT'd in the UK, for up to 6 months, provided that I start the process to register it in France within 1 month of bringing it over.

Simple then, we are scheduled to be back in the UK by the 8th of October, so I buy a car in the UK, tax it and insure it etc., at the address I will be living at until we find Chez Nous 2, and on or after the 8th September I pop over the the UK and drive it back to France where I can drive it legally for one month, provided Boris has allowed travellers from France to enter the UK without quarantine, and that nice Mr Macron ( the new Little Napoleon ) has reciprocated for visitors from the UK travelling to France.

It's all quite simple really.

AGD

Good luck with the DVLA

Getting a routine change to the V5 is currently taking about 10 weeks, longer for unusual requests.

I can't even do my personal self assessment because HMRC system apparently keeps forgetting my phone number to send my log in code to.

How anyone can run a business in England I don't know.

Many can't of course, and are giving up to relocate to the right side of trade barriers in the EU :-S

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2021-07-24 12:16 PM

WTF did it have to do with the EU??? :-S ..........

I was importing a car from a British overseas territory (Gibraltar) into the UK *-) .............

pelmetman - 2021-08-04 9:32 AM

I was importing a car from a British overseas territory (Gibraltar) into the UK *-) .............

Presumably you were driving it through the EU

But in any case what has it got to do with the OP who is trying to bring it from the EU into the Brexit mess you have created?

John52 - 2021-07-24 12:16 PM

Boom ... Chuckle ... Und double Chuckle

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2021-08-04 11:29 AM

Presumably you were driving it through the EU

But in any case what has it got to do with the OP who is trying to bring it from the EU into the Brexit mess you have created?

Coz I suspect the same rules apply to anyone wanting to "import" a car into the UK from "any" country in the world *-) ...........

QUOTE]pelmetman - 2021-08-05 8:05 AM

I suspect the same rules apply to anyone wanting to "import" a car into the UK from "any" country in the world *-) ...........

It didn't when we were in the EU

Did you think the rules that apply to other non-EU members wouldn't apply to Britain?

Archived