Leisure battery problem again

Makingtrax

I've been looking at the instructions for the Dometic Perfectcharge MCA 1225 charger, and I sympathise!

I am tempted to wonder whether the charger and the batteries are actually both fine, but the charger set up is wrong.

It claims to be suitable for charging lead acid, gel, AGM and Li-ion batteries, but I could find no instructions for which switches should be set to which positions in each case. It is clearly very versatile, with a lot of switchable charging options, but how one would know which options should be used with which of those various battery types was not at all clear to me.

Maybe I missed it, or simply didn't understand the instructions (I'm no electrical technician!), but I would have expected a chart of some sort for each type, clarifying the appropriate settings. It just makes me wonder if there should be a supplement somewhere, or if they assume the battery supplier will supply that information. I'm assuming here that the charger isn't expected to detect the connected battery type and self set accordingly. I didn't see a statement to that effect. Is it even possible?

In view of the history, it also made me wonder if whoever originally set the regime up at Knaus used the correct settings.

Ours is on CBE electrics, but the van came with an optional (in lieu of compressor) manual three way fridge fitted. The AES connecting link in the DS300 distribution box had been left in place - because that is the normal set up for the standard compressor fridge. So they can make mistakes!

I would look into charging settings rather than your use specifically,. Plugging in once a week (maybe switch to every 2 weeks depending on how low the voltage goes in between?) should not be a problem, but if the charger is set wrong, it will cause damage. It's not just the voltages but the time it spends at each phase. A relatively full battery being forced through an extra long absorption phase will slowly fail as you witnessed.

Not sure about waeco, but schaudt gel/wet settings are (AFAIK) the same in regards to voltage, but one has significantly longer absorption phase than the other. A properly smart charger would recognize the starting point and adjust each phase duration.

If you're going to leave it plugged in constantly (possibly also not ideal) I would switch it to the lower retention/float/trickle voltage.

Brian Kirby - 2021-08-17 5:06 PM

I've been looking at the instructions for the Dometic Perfectcharge MCA 1225 charger, and I sympathise!

I am tempted to wonder whether the charger and the batteries are actually both fine, but the charger set up is wrong.

It claims to be suitable for charging lead acid, gel, AGM and Li-ion batteries, but I could find no instructions for which switches should be set to which positions in each case. It is clearly very versatile, with a lot of switchable charging options, but how one would know which options should be used with which of those various battery types was not at all clear to me.

Maybe I missed it, or simply didn't understand the instructions (I'm no electrical technician!), but I would have expected a chart of some sort for each type, clarifying the appropriate settings. It just makes me wonder if there should be a supplement somewhere, or if they assume the battery supplier will supply that information. I'm assuming here that the charger isn't expected to detect the connected battery type and self set accordingly. I didn't see a statement to that effect. Is it even possible?

In view of the history, it also made me wonder if whoever originally set the regime up at Knaus used the correct settings.

Ours is on CBE electrics, but the van came with an optional (in lieu of compressor) manual three way fridge fitted. The AES connecting link in the DS300 distribution box had been left in place - because that is the normal set up for the standard compressor fridge. So they can make mistakes!

A point well made. I’ve looked carefully at the dip switches and settings but have no idea which settings would suit the Varta. I turned the charger off after the new battery was fully charged, the following morning it read 12.9v. After another 24 hours it read 12.7 volts. There is nothing on in the van apart from the Vanbitz Strikeback alarm. I’ll measure it again tomorrow, it may just be settling, but I’m still concerned something maybe draining it.

spirou - 2021-08-17 9:30 PM

I would look into charging settings rather than your use specifically,. Plugging in once a week (maybe switch to every 2 weeks depending on how low the voltage goes in between?) should not be a problem, but if the charger is set wrong, it will cause damage. It's not just the voltages but the time it spends at each phase. A relatively full battery being forced through an extra long absorption phase will slowly fail as you witnessed.

Not sure about waeco, but schaudt gel/wet settings are (AFAIK) the same in regards to voltage, but one has significantly longer absorption phase than the other. A properly smart charger would recognize the starting point and adjust each phase duration.

If you're going to leave it plugged in constantly (possibly also not ideal) I would switch it to the lower retention/float/trickle voltage.

Yes, I’ve already turned on dip switch 2 to give a lower retention voltage, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Keith. I honestly can not remember what the price difference was and how my Yuasa battery is performing in the Hymer. I just put out the statement and then the link as a option or choice. I only have the one leisure battery in my Hymer now as it is on hook up and never goes anywhere now I should really sell it as its wasted really. But I will be keeping my little pop top Autosleeper which I've had for 5- 6 years now and it has the Varta batteries, one used as a leisure and one as a engine battery.

Archived