Merton And Suki

Grumpyman

We stayed there Aug 19, round the other side of the lake. V. nice and friendly staff and an easy bus ride into WSM> Likely to go again mid Sept.

Overall I think it's a really good programme that paints us in a reasonable light, better than calman

Once again the TV producers have failed to show what motorhoming is all about, any newbies

would be gullable to believe this programme, if it was to pause awhile on hints and tips when they meet seasoned campers then folk might learn a lot more than this Paul Merton show. I found Suki far more sensible and interesting to see her cope, although do wonder if she really Russell's up a meal at home.

The show obviously was made before the entire country went into staycation mode, and not a mention of the thousands of height barrier's and no parking area's that focus on motorhomes.

I've not watched this yet as I saved it on record but the advertising trailer did have me thinking the same as the op, few people are capable of handling a sizeable motorhome!

The only similar tv documentaries with personalities I can think of which were definitely genuine involved boats. Timothy Spall and his wife Shane on a series called "All at Sea" which had some hilarious moments sailing their boat around UK. The other notable was "Great Canal Journeys" with actors Timothy West and his wife Prunella Scales about cruising the canals on their narrowboat.

Albertslad - 2021-08-22 6:42 PM

I was wondering what Paul thinks when that Webster woman gets addressed on first name terms?

Friendly pastime, motorhoming; or is it the campervanners?

I'm sure he is used to it, they both seem pretty friendly. :-D

As Les Dawson said, in their line of work the biggest problem is the constant search for new material, and they get some of it by talking informally to people. So they will stop and talk informally to anybody - even me :-D

My understanding is they are still in love, but she doesn't take his name because she wants to prove she is successful in her own right, without hanging on to his coattails. :-D

And I suppose if they get too luvvey dovey on screen it would be a bit off putting for people - one might feel one was intruding or treading on their toes by approaching and talking to them.

Strange thing for Albertslad to say. Paul tends to introduce them both as "I'm Paul and this is Suki" so why would his nose be put out of joint if someone calls her that? Odd Albert?

BTW we've got a family wedding in Ilfracombe 17 Sept so booked in to Uphill Wharf Sun and Mon. If anyone fancies a barbie????

John52 - 2021-08-23 9:22 AM

Albertslad - 2021-08-22 6:42 PM

I was wondering what Paul thinks when that Webster woman gets addressed on first name terms?

Friendly pastime, motorhoming; or is it the campervanners?

I'm sure he is used to it, they both seem pretty friendly. :-D

My understanding is they are still in love, but she doesn't take his name because she wants to prove she is successful in her own right, without hanging on to his coattails. :-D

Actors tend to use their professional names and Pauls real name is Paul Martin but he couldn't use it as there was already someone registered with the same name at Equity so he altered his surname to Merton (his birthplace).

Another known personality I remember who got into motorhoming is R2 DJ Johnnie Walker. It was a few years ago now so don't know if he still has a mh. https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/2325497.dj-buys-new-motor-home-in-wellington/

I've started to catch up on this little series and find it very entertaining.

Archived