Solar Panel Dethleffs Esprit access hole location

jak

I am in the process of mounting a solar panel mounted between and bolted to I section the roof bars and have come to the point where I need to face up to drilling an access for the 2 6mm associated cables having discounted the hope of utilising an existing opening. As DT220 unit to which I need to connect is located under the driver seat I am considering dropping through via the cupboard immediately behind and above the driver seat. I am wondering if anyone with a similar motorhome has experience of doing this and can advise on a good location. I have used a newly acquired stud detector to check for cables but get confusing results as there are cables in trunking close by within the van at the rear of the cupboard. My intention is to drill two small holes just big enough for each cable but I am full of trepidation at the thought of puncturing the roof. Any advise appreciated. Jak

We have an old 2006 Dethleffs Esprit A class tag axle. Whilst our power controller has the input for solar charging, our system was fitted by Sunstore Worthing and used a MPPT controller and connected that direct to the battery.

Where is your leisure battery located? Ours is under the passenger seat. The solar panel is fitted by the Heki rooflight and cables run through the top cupboard behind the drivers seat and the MPPT controller is in the under floor locker directly below that.

Jak,

From my experience with cables and pass throughs simply pushing a cable through a rubber grommet will not suffice for your application and will almost certainly result in leaks at some point in the future.

You need a proper cable gland and possibly clam shell box to ensure a 100% waterproof connection. I suggest contacting a solar panel installer or seller for their advice.

Keith.

I now appreciate my wording in the question was not sufficiently concise based on the responses. My query is specifically if someone can advise of a safe location of penetrating the roof avoiding cables based on where their cables enter, or simply advise me of the location. I think on reflection I am hoping for too much.

With respect to your comments on waterproofing when I mentioned my intention to use two single minimal sized holes for each cable I mentioned this as I do not wish to create an over sized hole to accept both cables as some do. I was intending to use a proprietary dual cable gland box on the roof seated in sealant and infill the hole openings with further sealant as belt and braces. I am familiar with doing work of this nature having unfortunately had to reseat the very large main rooflight several years ago whilst touring which was by no means an easy task to undertake single handed in the 'wild'.

I will be connecting to the DT220 using a Votronic MPP 165 controller using the supplementary cables designed specifically for connection to this Schaudt Elektroblock unit.

Thanks for the responses.

Take care and enjoy life as best as one can in these difficult times

Jak

Archived