Water under plyfloor pvc x290 Boxer

trialsrider

Derek Uzzell - 2022-01-11 8:09 AM

This data on this Russian webpage

https://tinyurl.com/ycy8bpub

suggest that there will be two rear air intake grilles (Part Number 1360109080) one on each body side.

The other air intake unit (Part Number 1355707080) is apparently fitted at the front of the Ducato on a chassis member as well at at the vehicle's rear and there's a cover available that can be fitted to block off the vent (mentioned on the Fiat forum).

(The drawings relate to Ducato X250 models, but I'd expect the positioning of the air intakes to be the same for X290s)

Thanks Derek

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keithl - 2022-01-10 3:57 PM

Gareth,

The large vent you have circled is the body vent to allow an airflow through the vehicle. In a normal van it would help reduce condensation in the van but seen as your van is all but sealed in that area then I see no reason not to remove it and seal the opening. I would simply tape it over with a quality aluminium duct sealing tape.

A common source of leaks on panel vans are the moulding clips and it is quite normal to remove them and refit with a blob of none setting mastic. Do not use household silicone as the acetic acid can promote rust.

Keith.

What do you think would be the best option. Remove the clips altogether, fill hole with sealant and refit panel with sikaflex holding it on? Or do what they seem to do on you tube and put a dab of sealant on each clips rear face and then refit panel.

I'm not convinced a bit of sealant on the back of the clips will guarantee a water proof seal. It is possible for the clip seal to be seated on the clip in the hole yet still expose part of the appeture of the clip hole. It only seems to seal it if the clip is dead centre in the aperture. Sadly you can't see this as you have pushed the panel in place.

Well I thought I'd update people as to my progress. I pulled off all the off side mouldings and removed the vent. On removing the vent the insulation behind it was soaking and in fact frozen in places. Thankfully the wall boards are made of moisture resistant MDF. I drilled out the other side of the vent and fitted an inspection hatch so I can keep an eye on the area and reinsulate once I know it's dry. I covered all appetures with aluminium plate and sikaflexed the plating in situ. I then sikaflexed every body panel clip and seal and refitted the moulding. I also sikaflexed the top edge and sides of each moulding except for the rear most moulding as that needs to be able to be removed should you ever need to remove the bumper corner. I will do the same on the near side on the weekend. What is encouraging is that the insulation above the vent was not wet, just the insulation next to it and below. Fingers crossed I've found the culprit.

IMG_20220117_103405009.jpg.1c5716ed9756e8d53a77cca9e08f5619.jpg

IMG_20220117_160031728_copy_468x624.jpg.9a7f4374f66da9f47f479d56dc985d96.jpg

IMG_20220117_132730414.jpg.c7ad716717dd796ad961e7d59d17a4a5.jpg

IMG_20220117_132754568.jpg.9a62e44a2339643304090540fa108a92.jpg

IMG_20220117_132744128.jpg.435e6509dd5aaf306b3ca981c4e0adc0.jpg

A somewhat belated Happy New Year to you all (hope you are all safe and well :-D )

Trialsrider- Hopefully, you've found the cause of the "leak"..

.. But is/was there anything to suggest just why that vent (and/or the trim fixings?) would've been letting in water anymore than other X290 vans and/or conversions?

It's just that, if they were an issue, wouldn't it be a well documented fault by now?...

Assuming all conversion apertures have been ruled out, are all of the *panel and wheel arch seams okay? (also what, if any, roof rack fixings/bolt holes do X290s have? and are they "water tight"? )

My apologies if I'm just going over what you've already checked. . ;-)

pepe63 - 2022-01-19 1:40 PM

A somewhat belated Happy New Year to you all (hope you are all safe and well :-D )

Trialsrider- Hopefully, you've found the cause of the "leak"..

.. But is/was there anything to suggest just why that vent (and/or the trim fixings?) would've been letting in water anymore than other X290 vans and/or conversions?

It's just that, if they were an issue, wouldn't it be a well documented fault by now?...

Assuming all conversion apertures have been ruled out, are all of the *panel and wheel arch seams okay? (also what, if any, roof rack fixings/bolt holes do X290s have? and are they "water tight"? )

My apologies if I'm just going over what you've already checked. . ;-)

To be honest my approach is basically to rule out every possibility however following instinct and evidence. As mentioned before the van is parked sloping offside to nearside and nose up so for water to be present on the right side it must firstly be low down and near the rear otherwise it would migrate left. I fitted the solar and bathroom roof light and being very meticulous I am pretty sure it is not them. Damp meter readings all around roof and walls were consistently equal and low. I spent a long time on a ladder inspecting roof seams and any non standard openings and fixtures and I was satisfied all is ok. My hose test on various areas of the van suggested it was something on the off side causing the ingress. I began removing panels and discovered the vent. Vent was removed and soaking wet insulation discovered. Insulation above was dry. Holes covered and sikaflexed with mouldings refitted. Floor has now started to dry out despite the van getting rained on this week. I fitted an incontinence sheet inside the void being the inspection hatch where the damp insulation had been. Just checked it tonight and it's bone dry. Fingers crossed I've sorted it but I will still do the near side. My approach is generally belt and braces with anything mechanical.

There is lots of stuff on YouTube about leaking body mouldings. I counted nearly 50 clips meaning 50 holes on just the off side alone. That's 50 possible water ingress points. Maybe the big converters seal them up prophetically as well as fitting a moisture membrane? Maybe the vents are removed and covered up. Maybe my situation is worsened by the incline and orientation of my van on the drive. Time and rain will tell if I've nailed it. Fingers crossed !!!

Archived