Mains electric hot water heater in motorhome...Can I?

durbinjej

Hi all had an idea today... (new to motorhomeing this month).

Basically i have a gas only truma water heater, so i wanted to know if i could 'T' off the cold water from my pump and 'T' off the hot water out pipes and fit one of these...

Link to ToolStation

So i can direct the water from my pump to either one of the heaters electric or the gas heater using a valve to open one and close the other. Then the same for the outlets etc.

My only questions is to do with the 'expansion' side of things which i dont really understand.

Do i need it or can i just fit the pipe and it will work fine without expansion etc?

Any information would be great.

Thanks

(Edited to shorten link to correct page width error - Keithl)

Hi and welcome to the forum,

It may help others to answer if you could say what model and age of MH you have, but my take on this is it is an unnecessary mod.

And my reasoning... gas (LPG in this case) is a very efficient source of energy and the quantity used to heat the water would be very small and would far outweigh the cost of your proposed modification over the length of time you would be using it.

So to finish off with a question, how long have you had your MH and have you yet established your actual consumption of gas? I think you are looking for an answer to a problem which may not exist.

Keith.

Hmmm valid points i guess.

Owned the motorhome since 7th december (this month)

Reasons for wanting to do this are:

1.on EHU it would be 'free' not using up my gas or if it runs out mid holiday.

2. Want to be able to run everything on electric if needed as well as gas while on site. Such as heating(1kw/2kw blowheater) // fridge and the the hot water if needed.

Not really worries about the cost of installation as they are pretty cheap to buy at around £100.

Motorhome is 2005 fiat ducato based

3 way fridge.

Truma gas water and heating only.

2 kw = 8 amps 20 mins to heat up. You will need to fit the expansion vessel, as water heats up it expands. You motorhomes pipe work is not designed to cope. With that pressure, you run the risk of a hot water leak. An oil filled radiator would be better than a fan heater, trouble with fan heaters is the element gets hot then the fan cools it whilst blowing it around.

This 2019 "Motorhome Builder" forum thread may be of interest as it discusses electric water heaters generally and Ariston heaters particularly

https://motorhomebuilder.com/threads/electric-water-heaters.66780/

If the 2005 motorhome's "gas-only Truma water heater" is a Trumatic C combination air/water heater, historically it would have been possible to add a 230V/450W heating collar that fitted round the heater's 12-litre water tank. I'm not sure if the collar is actually still marketed, but - even if it is - it's likely to cost about £400.

If the 2005 water heater is a Truma "Ultrastore" gas-only boiler, although there was a version with a 'kettle type' 230v element, I don't think the element can be retrofitted.

Archived