Peterborough show disappointment.

tringy

Hi all, just wanted to say how disappointed I was today with the show/motorhome sale. Not many new ones to look at and the rest was what seem expensive older motorhomes. Also the was no trade stalls whatsoever. Very small and took me 30 minutes to walk slowly and I was on my way home after a coffee. Good thing it was free. It didn’t do the promoters any favours.

Regards Tringy

Thanks for the feedback Tringy.

Peterborough used to be one of the best shows, unless it was very wet!

We went to several of the smaller shows last year and they too were poorly represented both in terms of dealers and accessory displays with many of the regular names not bothering.

Covid related difficulties seemed to be the usual reason although the cost to benefit ratio was quoted by several as the reason they would not attend any shows in 2022.

It simply costs too much for the extra sales, publicity and profit returned.

The law of diminishing returns seems to apply, show organisers costs go up, cost of a stand to traders goes up, cost to enter for the public goes up - and even when it is free the lack of atmosphere and motorhome relevant traders no longer makes it a good day out / weekend away.

We have bought several vans at shows over the years and lots of accessories too but I doubt we shall bother this year.

Perhaps shows in their present format are on a slippery slope to extinction. I hope not but something needs to be done to rekindle public and trade support - but I don't know what that might be!

Tracker - 2022-01-28 3:44 PM

Peterborough used to be one of the best shows, unless it was very wet!

Rich,

Tringy is referring to the January Motorhome & Campervan Sale https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/shows/show/the-january-motorhome-campervan-sale and not the The National Motorhome & Campervan Show in April https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/shows/show/the-national-motorhome-campervan-show

The biggest difference is the January show is a 'Day Only' show with no camping offered.

Keith.

Cheers Keith, I did not know that!

I did think it was a bit early for Peterbough as it used to be around Easter time - or whenever the rain was heaviest!

Let's hope that normal service will be resumed and the sun shines as it was always one of the best shows and worth a long day or a weekend.

I still fear for the long term future of shows following our experiences last year, but I hope I am wrong for the benefit of the industry as many new motorhomers began at a show.

Apart from that we would still love to get another van and there is no better encouragement than a show atmosphere and a decent deal!

Keith, the biggest difference is that there is no trade stalls for bits and pieces, yes also no overnight camping, but quite a good number of people arriving in the car park area with motorhomes . I just hope that this type of event doesn’t put people off the main events!

Cheers .

Archived