Savannah Tio

Mickydripin

I am considering a Savannah Tio with a 2.8 engine that has been reconditioned with all accessories and I need some help.

what will be the MPG, can it be Tuned to do better it is a 2004 and in very good condition what would be the best price that I should offer for it.

I would like any helpful advice good or bad. Mike

Can't help with advice but only with mpg.

On my 2004 2.8jtd Ducato we get about 25 mpg overall. That's on a 3850 Kg vehicle on ordinary roads.

On motorways I cruise at around 2700rpm (about 60mph) and probably get slightly less mpg depending on wind direction.

Jeremy

This ancient advert for a 2004 IH Savannah Tio with 2.8JTD motor may be of interest

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/for-sale/u200543-used-ih-savannah-tio-motorhome.pdf

Autotrader adverts for IH motorhomes include some Tio models

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhomes/used-motorhomes/ih-motorhomes

and there's a 2004 version with an asking-price of £19,995 (Trade vendor and with a reconditioned engine)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-details/202201311967932?advertising-location=at_motorhomes

'Economy remapping' of the 2.8JTD motor is offered

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/performance-stats/fiat/ducato-gen-2-1994-2006/diesel/2-8-jtd-127-bhp-1994-2006-ECU-remap-chiptuning/stage-1

but - in my view - it would be a unwise thing to do where a Tio is concerned as the standard motor should be plenty adequate power-wise and the likelihood is that any real-world gain in economy would be minimal. (And you'd need to tell your insurer about the 'tuning'.)

I'm not sure but I think the TIO is a panel van conversion and Jeremy's Benimar is a low profile coachbuilt with a bit more frontal area and maybe a bit more weight.

Expecting around 25 mpg sounds reasonable enough but surely the main reason for buying any motorhome is a layout and driving charecteristics that fit well with your needs?

Unless you do a mega mileage fuel costs will be a relatively low part of the overall costs and personally speaking the joy of using the right layout van greatly outweighed saving a few quid on fuel?

The 2.8 is a fine engine with a good reliabilty record. It's not as smooth as a modern diesel but it is head and shoulders better than the older 2.5s!!

I have experimented with tuning boxes in the past and undoubtedly they can improve smoothness, torque and power but to do so with economy in mind might prove disappointing, especially if you use extra power and torque, as you don't get owt for nowt.

Derek Uzzell - 2022-02-23 1:18 PM

The history of the 2004 Tio on the Autotrader link is 'interesting'...

And if it actually is the one on AutoTrader that Derek linked to then you have to ask why it had to have a reconditioned engine at 80,000 miles!

"81,000 miles (new recon engine 1400 miles ago & new turbo Sept 2021)"

And note it has had to have welding for more MOT's than I would care for and some areas seem to be recurring.

Keith.

Thanks everybody for all your replies.

I checked up on the mot history as Derek said and it was very hit and miss as the same advisory things seem to pop up year after year.

There has been a lot of work done on it but it seems a though work was only done when it had to not when it should have been done.

This one had every toy that you would want but toys go wrong and all I want is a van that is reliable and do the job it is meant to do but the one that I looked at seemed that it would turn out to be a cash cow.

For £20,000 almost I thought that I would get that but it looks like there are a lot of very dodgy vans out there as I have been looking for a long while.

Admittedly this dealer said that if I wanted it he would do a full service and would do any work that was needed but why do dealers put things up for sale and not do a thing until they have a sale??.

I want a decent van up to 6.5 Mts long that will last me three to four years due to my age and don't want to pay the earth for (and not get ripped off) is that too much to ask??

Your replys have been very good and helped me a lot Thanks guys.

Archived