Weigh plate clarification needed please

steveandlisa

Hi,

I`m soon to reach my 70th birthday and will loose my C1 entitlement unless i renew. My query is, do i really need the C1 for my particular motorhome. There are two plates under the bonnet, one for the Alko chasis and one for the vehicle itself. They both read MTPLM 3500Kg, and axle weights of 1- 1850Kg and 2- 2000Kg which to me means it can be driven normally without the C1 class licence. However, the log book (V5C) states that the Taxation class is Private HGV and Mass in service of 3500Kg so i`m confused?

Can anyone clarify or is there something wrong with the V5C or the plating.

PS Its a Bailey Approach 740se, i had it on a weighbridge a couple of years ago fully laden and the weights came out as F 1560Kg, R 1660Kg with a gross of 3260Kg

Kindest regards

Steve

In his posting of 26 January 2022

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/70-next-birthday-and-in-a-quandary/59535/

Steve said that his 2012 Bailey motothome's Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) had been uprated from 3500kg to 3850kg before he purchased the vehicle. On that basis, the vehicle should be registered in the Private HGV road-tax class as is currently shown on its V5C registration document.

When the motorhome's GVW was uprated, a new 'VIN-plate' (either in metal or an adhesive sticker) should have been attached to the vehicle to show the 3850kg weight. Although the logical place to put the new plate/sticker would be near the two under-bonnet plates that Steve has mentioned, it could be elsewhere and Steve might find it if he examines his motorhome closely.

Even if there is no 3850kg VIN-plate on the Bailey, Steve was evidently aware of the weight upgrade when he bought the motorhome and (based on the V5C) it's plain that the DVLA has recorded the GVW increase. So, if Steve chooses to relinquish his C1 driving licence entitlement at age 70 and wants to continue to legally drive the Bailey, he'll need to get the vehicle's GVW downgraded to 3500kg via the DVLA.

Archived