Airbag ECU Protector?

DavyS

There has been a lot of reports of the airbag ECU failing. Many people, including CrashData, believe it is caused if a start is attempted when the cab battery is 10.5 V or below.

Victron seem to have a new product which isolates the battery should its voltage fall. That could save the cost of a new battery and a new ECU.

Details chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.batterymegastore.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F01%2FVictron-Energy-BatteryProtect-65A-100A-220A-Data-Sheet-CLICK-HERE.pdf&clen=287600&chunk=true

A data sheet is displayed on the page but I am not knowledgeable to understand whether the protector would help with the ECU problem. Others might be able to?

No need to go to a third party company.

I contacted Fiat and stated that I knew the airbag ecu was a problem.

They arranged for a new one to be fitted.

All I paid was 30 mins fitting time

Brilliant job.

Mine was a 2017 Fiat PVC fitted just a few months ago.

• 3 weeks later...
While I don’t dispute Crash Data’s knowledge I do dispute their reasoning as my Airbag ecu packed up the other month despite van being connected to mains when stood meaning battery was never below 10.5v. I even tested battery the day the ecu failed and it was not below 10.5v. I put it down to me getting into the habit of just turning the key and starting the van immediately instead of turning key to first position and waiting for dash lights (glow plugs etc) to go out.

machra - 2022-03-24 8:09 AM

I put it down to me getting into the habit of just turning the key and starting the van immediately instead of turning key to first position and waiting for dash lights (glow plugs etc) to go out.

Well you may be right; we have no way of knowing. Or maybe its just more to add to folk law? I bet delivery van drivers dont wait for the lights to go out.

You are right with your folk law comment. It is about time Fiat carried out some investigation/research and provide a definitive answer but I will not hold my breath. The only other thing I could come up with as a reason was that when I took the old ecu apart it was very tarnished inside as if moisture had got in at some time. I surmise this is as a result of the van being stood for periods during the winter. Whereas white van man is out every day and as a result there is a lot less moisture in the cab are (where the ecu is located).

It doesn't seem to be just an issue with Fiat. The Ford/Mazda Bosch airbag control module on my Ford failed as well. I was lucky enough to find a second-hand unit on eBay for a tenner and fortunately it was just a straight swap. No programming needed.

Archived