Calor Gas

Tony323

Anybody tell me if they are having problems with obtaining Calor Gas Bottles. I live in West Yorkshire, cant get them for love nor money, Noted they keep giving reason of Covid, but is this underlying and the company in trouble ???

Calor have been making these excuses for months claiming shortage of steel for cylinders. Near me we have an independent lpg supplier , I went yesterday to get autogas and in their yard were thousands of new cylinders so are Calor telling porkies? Autogas is also getting hard to and that appears to be from garages supplied by Flogas such as Asda, Morrisons, BP.

Unfortunately this company near me cant exchange Calor for their own.

Calor's "Service Statement" can be read here

https://www.calor.co.uk/cv-statement

The relevant advice is

Gas cylinder delivery and collection

We’re currently experiencing gas cylinder availability issues due to higher demand, restricted supply, global shipping disruption and ongoing resource challenges. Availability is evolving constantly but please be aware that some cylinder sizes are temporarily unavailable or limited to the exchange of an empty cylinder only.

Our Calor Centres are permanently closed to the public, but we still provide a delivery service, for both the collection and supply of gas cylinders. Please call your local Calor Centre to arrange this.

Customers wishing to return a gas cylinder, please contact your local Calor Centre, who will be able to advise accordingly.

You can also exchange or buy a new cylinder from your nearest retailer. We recommend calling before travelling to one of our retailers to check availability and opening hours.

For all information regarding Returns, Refills and Exchanges please see our Gas cylinder area.

Gas cylinder constraints

We apologise for the inconvenience you may experience and we’re working hard to increase our supply. Whilst we continue to increase the number of cylinders in circulation, we’re also encouraging customers to help us by returning any empty or unused cylinders to improve availability.

I've corrected their statement for them:

We’re currently experiencing gas cylinder availability issues due to our continuing failure to offer users a fair price for unwanted out-of-contract cylinders.

I've 8 sitting here they could have back into their network if they made it worth my while (and allowed Calor retailers to accept them).

For what it's worth, in France it's normally possible to obtain a payment for an unwanted 'out-of-contract' French gas canister. The canister needs to be returned to an agent of that brand of bottle and payment comes from the company that owns the bottle. The payment procedure varies from simple to quite complex and the current going-rate is around €4 per canister.

You could try Flo Gas, free bottles and free delivery?

Go Outdoors usually stock Calor Gas but might be out of stock too?

Or convert to refillables - fill up at any garage stocking Autogas - expensive to start but cheaper in a the (very) long run!

Steve928 - 2022-03-08 10:05 AM

I've corrected their statement for them:

We’re currently experiencing gas cylinder availability issues due to our continuing failure to offer users a fair price for unwanted out-of-contract cylinders.

I've 8 sitting here they could have back into their network if they made it worth my while (and allowed Calor retailers to accept them).

I sold all mine on Gumtree no problem - didn't ask for or get a lot but made buyers happy and one in the eye for greedy inflexible Calor!

I returned mine to their local depot and they paid £7 each But it must be a Calor main depot not one of their dealers

witzend - 2022-03-09 4:41 PM

I returned mine to their local depot and they paid £7 each But it must be a Calor main depot not one of their dealers

It's a few years back now but their depot refused to give me any cash back without a contract in my name saying I had paid them a deposit, they did offer to take them for nowt - which I politely declined!

Tracker - 2022-03-09 4:45 PM

witzend - 2022-03-09 4:41 PM

It's a few years back now but their depot refused to give me any cash back without a contract in my name saying I had paid them a deposit, they did offer to take them for nowt - which I politely declined!

If you can provide your paperwork you can get a proportion of the deposit depending how long you've had it, without paperwork you get £7 . At moment you have to phone a depot and they will tell you what to do with them, you can't just turn up as depots are closed to drop-ins.

paulmold - 2022-03-09 9:02 PM

If you can provide your paperwork you can get a proportion of the deposit depending how long you've had it, without paperwork you get £7 . At moment you have to phone a depot and they will tell you what to do with them, you can't just turn up as depots are closed to drop-ins.

I was aware of the £7 repayment but the key for me (as I alluded to in the brackets) is that only Calor depots will accept these cylinders. If I could return them to any stockist/retailer then I would, but a 190 mile return journey towing a trailer to my nearest depot isn't worth my while in terms of time or cost.

I should really fill the Calor Lites that I have then put them on Gumtree I suppose - they'd probably raise good money

Tracker - 2022-03-09 3:31 PM

You could try Flo Gas, free bottles and free delivery?

Acquiring a Flogas gas bottle from a Flogas agent involves a 'cylinder charge' policy that's similar to Calor's. This is clearly explained here,

https://www.flogas.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/will-i-be-charged-for-the-cylinder

Flogas agents (eg. builders merchants) MAY be less strict than Calor when it comes to demanding the initial 'cylinder charge' - but that doesn't negate the Flogas policy.

I've had plenty of Calor gas bottles pass through my hands and, as I've always managed to avoid (one way or another) paying the initial cylinder charge and I've understood that Calor will always be the owner of the bottle (a fact that motohome/caravan owners commonly seem oblivious to) I've just given the bottles away when I've had no further use for them or handed them back to a conveniently local Calor agent.

Archived