Missing part for Swift Spirit (Escape) 2019

oldsnips

I cannot find a way to add to my post or to reply to your answers to this thread so I am posting again and trying to attach a photo. Thanks for all your previous replies. As you can see I am still trying to navigate my way around the forum so please bear with me!!

Can a Swift Spirit (Escape) owner shed any light on what part is missing from the skylight above the cab. A piece of chipboard is clearly visible which is surely not correct and the frame knocks loudly when the Moho is driven. The Motorhome was purchased in January 2022 through Motorhome Depot in Kent. The yellow foam in the picture was put there by me to try to fix the problem. Thanks.

2018669662_resize3.thumb.jpg.4e14773f1efbaecc2cdd79654e290c4b.jpg

I'm guessing this is your motorhome

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/swift-escape-612-spirit-automatic

Motorhome Depot acts as a 'broker' between the vendor and potential buyers. I suggest you get in touch with the vendor of the motorhome to see if they have an explanation for the chipboard. You could also ask about the automatic gearbox issue.

(It's apparent from your photo and the Motorhome Depot advert that there's a 'cutaway' in the rooflight frame, and the chipboard is very visible as a result. I'm wary that this cutaway was there originally.)

Comparing your photo above with the photo Derek posted on your original thread you appear to have a large piece of trim missing that would completely surround the skylight. Can you compare Derek's photo with your MH and comment back please.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Missing-part-for-Swift-Spirit-Escape-2019/59779/#M709160

Keith.

PS And please try to keep to one thread for one topic or else it leads to confusion and disjointed answers as here.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have contacted my Broker and he is going to contact the vendors to raise the issues with them.

The cut out is on other Escape 612 motorhomes that I have looked at online. I have sent the photos to Dolphin motorhomes who originally sold it and am waiting for a reply.

oldsnips - 2022-03-14 4:47 PM

...The cut out is on other Escape 612 motorhomes that I have looked at online....

Yes, as you rightly say 2019 models have all got the 'cutaway' (attached image from a 612 YouTube advert).

It clearly can't be right to have the chipboard edge exposed and - as Keith has suggested - there ought to be a trim piece to hide the chipboard and to extend upwards close to the blind.

cutaway.jpg.7b4c5fb904945a26c003e0f51ebde354.jpg

In Derek's photo the cut out looks exactly the same as mine.

I am hoping to get a reply from Dolphin motorhomes who originally sold the motorhome and they now have pictures of the offending area. I did contact Swift twice with the photos and explained that taking it back to Dolphin as they recommended would be a six hour round trip but I am afraid they were not interested. Customer service not on the top of their list evidently!!

Is there a Swift Motorhome dealer nearer to you that may be able to help , they should have access to parts diagrams to enable for them to be able to order spares for Swift vans they sell and may be able to see on the diagrams what could be missing or incorrect on your Motorhome.

I tried Caravan Tech in East Sussex yesterday but eventually they directed me back to Dolphin Motorhomes.

I will try Sussex Caravan centre at East Grinstead and Stewart Mouland at Peacehaven tomorrow. Both are Swift dealers but some distance away.

Thanks for the suggestion.

This YouTube video described the 2019 Swift motorhome range

The "panoramic sunroof" is shown and apparently was part of an optional Comfort Pack - though all online adverts for 2019 Swift coachbuilt low-profile motorhomes show the sunroof. As interior pictures of all 2019 Swift "Escape" and "Compact" models show the 'cutaway' mentioned above, the cutaway can be ignored.

This current Swift advert for Escape models

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/motorhomes/swift-escape/

suggests that Swift continues to fit this sunroof - so examining any 2019-onwards Escape that has the sunroof should confirm why Brian's sunroof looks as it does.

Now that Brian has photos of his sunroof, he might try asking about this on the MotorHomeFacts and MotorHomeFun forums

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/

These forums have a much larger user population than the Out&AboutLive forums, and there should be a greater chance of someone having a Swift motorhome with this sunroof who can advise.

I contacted Sussex Caravan Centre today and the very helpful Nikki ascertained that you can only buy the entire surround for an eyewatering £350 which excludes fitting. You cannot buy the inserts separately.

I am now looking at finding some rubber / neoprene trim to fit myself.

Really disappointed by Swift and their customer service.

It seems unlikely to me that Seals + Direct would be able to provide anything suitable for hiding the chipboard in Brian's Swift's sunroof.

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/listDepartments.asp?intSiteAreaId=1

(I've dealt with the company in the past and they were helpful, but there's nothing in their catalogue that I can envisage being suitable.)

Without seeing this sunroof on another Swift motorhome and understanding the construction of the sunroof, it's impossible to know how much is missing on Brian's vehicle. If there is a complete inner frame that includes an interior trim-piece ('insert') that would cover the unsightly chipboard, it's not too surprising that this frame would be expensive. But if all that's missing is a piece of plastic trim that fits behind the 'cutaway' and disguises the chipboard's edge, there should be little difficulty having a piece of coloured plastic cut to the required size and to glue this to the chipboard.

It has to be said that - based on the two photos in the postings above - Brian's sunroof looks 'wrong', which comes back to his original question about what exactly might be missing and (as I touched on in the other related forum thread) whether Swift would actually use a chunk of chipboard in this area.

Archived