Nudge bars for rear of Motorhome

oldsnips

I am trying unsuccessfully to find a nudge bar for my motorhome on the net as protection from impacts. I do not need the actual towbar fitted as shown in the picture, just the nudge bar.

Has anyone had one fitted and if so where did you purchase it from.

Thanks.

1784556817_nudgebarformotorhomes.jpg.586e76e787f527bdd28a475189ae983d.jpg

TowTal in Stoke-on-Trent https://towtal.co.uk/towbars/

We had a towbar fitted by them when we bought our MH and it is extremely solid, something like 70 x 70 mm steel box section across the back and heavy square tubing running forward. They are made and fitted on site so just ask them for a price excluding the towball mounting. Ours is pretty much identical to the one in the photo on their website.

Keith.

Thanks Keith that looks exactly what I need.

Unfortunately the company is in Stoke on Trent 250 miles away from us and they require the bar to be fitted by them. I will however contact them to get an idea of the cost of getting the work done.

oldsnips - 2022-04-02 8:12 PM

Unfortunately the company is in Stoke on Trent 250 miles away from us and they require the bar to be fitted by them. I will however contact them to get an idea of the cost of getting the work done.

That’s the beauty of a MH. You can make a little trip out of it.

Oldsnips

A GOOGLE-search on "Motorhome rear bumper bar" will retrieve several companies offering such things.

A potential stumbling block may be the relative youth of your motorhome' (a 2019 Swift Escape). A 'bumper' or 'nudge' bar will generally be based on a structure capable of carrying a tow-ball - that is, it will be a towbar without a tow-ball and electrics - and there are towbar-related regulations relating to post-2012 motorhomes.

https://armitages.uk/pre-2012-motorhome-towbars/

It's something that you should perhaps discuss with the companies advertising these things. In practice, you might be better opting for a genuine Type-Approved towbar (omitting the tow-ball and electrics from it if you so wish) rather than a lighter weight 'bumper bar' that cannot be used for towing at some future stage.

oldsnips - 2022-04-02 8:12 PM

If you go to them, a word of warning. Make absolutely certain they fit them correctly before they start drilling any holes.

They fitted a Fiamma bike rack I ordered off them and they fitted it on the wrong door making opening/closing of the doors extremely difficult. I eventually had it re-fitted to the correct door, but not by them as I couldn't trust them. I got someone else to do it.

Depending on how low and long the tailend of the OP's van is, it may be worth bearing in mind just how low the ends of a bumper "can" get when pulling on/off slopes/ramps, especially if a tight turn is thrown into the mix.

The one end of the straight Towtal bar that we had fitted to a previous van(10+ years back?) would ground out when turning onto our steep driveway..

If the above is deemed a possibility/probability , then maybe consider a bar with cranked, "swan-neck" ends?

That looks nicely proportioned to me, and with decent ground clearance.

(..and if anyone did manage to ground a bumper on something like that, then they'd probably have bigger things to worry about than a bit of scuffed paint on the underside of the 'bar..? (lol) )

Archived