GT Radial Maxmiler All Season 225 17 R16 tyres

oldsnips

I am considering these GT Radial Maxmiler All Season 225 17 R16 tyres for my motorhome. They have a 1450kg load rating and I believe a max pressure rating of 80 psi although I am unable to confirm this. They are also considerably cheaper than the Continental camper tyres currently fitted by around £70 each.

Does anyone have these tyres or what thoughts do members have on their suitability?

I have a set of Maxmiler All Season on my winter wheels - no complaints at all, I've been very pleased with them.

Maxmiler WT2 is the full winter version of the tyre and has the same tread pattern but a different compound, but the all season have been fine for what I want.

Wet grip is streets ahead (poor choice of words..) of the Agilis CP on my summer wheels, irrespective of the rating.

This tyre is a product if Giti Tires (and probably made in China). It is described in this 2019 press release

https://www.tyrepress.com/2019/05/gt-radial-launches-maxmiler-allseason-van-light-truck-tyre/#:~:text=Giti%20Tire%20has%20launched%20the,van%20and%20light%20truck%20markets.

The size of the tyres oldsnips requires will be 225/75 R16C and there are some buyer reviews here

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/gt-radial/maxmiler-allseason/225-75-16-121-r--maxmiler-allseason

On paper the tyre is 'suitable' for a motorhome that is to be driven in wintry conditions as it carries the 3PMSF marking and has an adequate Load Index. I don't think there have been any independent comparative tests, so it's difficult to say whether there is anything better that is similarly priced. You pays your money...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to supply the information that I requested re the tyre pressure. Not sure I would use that pressure either but there is a sticker inside the passenger door of my Ducato based motorhome saying inflate tyres to 80 psi so it would be nice to have this in reserve.

oldsnips - 2022-04-16 9:52 PM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to supply the information that I requested re the tyre pressure. Not sure I would use that pressure either but there is a sticker inside the passenger door of my Ducato based motorhome saying inflate tyres to 80 psi so it would be nice to have this in reserve.

But that 80 psi would ONLY be applicable to tyres labelled as CP (ie not C) and also having that as the quoted max on the tyres sidewall.

You are comparing apples to oranges here with your original Camper tyres against a seemingly none camper tyre.

Keith.

Continental's most recent Technical Databook provides data on a tyre's load capacity (kg per axle) at a tyre pressure (bar).

For a 225/75 R16C tyre (10PR) with a Load Index of 121 the maximum 'single axle' load capacity is given as 2900kg at an inflation pressure of 5.75bar (83.4psi)

For a 225/75 R16CP 'camping-car' tyre (10PR) with a Load Index of 118 the maximum 'rear single axle' load capacity is given as 2640kg at an inflation pressure of 6.0bar (87.0psi)

As all 225/75 R16C tyres (10PR) with a Load Index of 121 will logically have a similar axle load capacity to inflation-pressure 'graph', it may reasonably be assumed that using that specification tyre to replace 225/75 R16CP 'camping-car' tyres should not produce any problems where inflation pressures are concerned. Simplistically, if motorhome owners have been accustomed to inflate their vehicle's 225/75 R16 CP-marked tyres to 5.5bar(80psi), there should be no NEED to run 225/75 R16 C-marked tyres at a lower pressure.

The GT Radial Maxmiler All Season tyre advertised here

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/gt-radial/maxmiler-allseason/225-75-16-121-r--maxmiler-allseason

seems to be remarkably well-priced. Whether they are ACTUALLY available at the moment may be another matter...

Archived