Understanding weights

rooster63

Although I have a fairly good understanding of the various weight descriptions eg MRO, payload I am a little bit confused by the 2 plates fixed to my Fiat Ducato based Timberland PVC

The original Fiat plate says:

3500kg

6000kg

1 - 1850kg

2 - 2000kg

My understanding is that the 3500kg is the maximum weight when fully laden with the maximum weight for the front being 1850kg and 2000kg for the rear. What does the 6000kg represent

There is a 2nd plate which says Motorhome 2nd Stage Build which has the same figures.

Is my van plated at 3500kg or is it higher which I believe has implications for when I turn 70. I passed my test in 1971 so have the luxury of being able to drive more categories st the moment.

Amended as I can’t delete this post. Have realised the 6000kg refers to if I am towing, and the fact the 2 separate axle weights adding up to more than 3500kg is irrelevant!

rooster63 - 2022-04-22 12:19 PM

Although I have a fairly good understanding of the various weight descriptions eg MRO, payload I am a little bit confused by the 2 plates fixed to my Fiat Ducato based Timberland PVC

The original Fiat plate says:

3500kg

6000kg

1 - 1850kg

2 - 2000kg

My understanding is that the 3500kg is the maximum weight when fully laden with the maximum weight for the front being 1850kg and 2000kg for the rear. What does the 6000kg represent

That is the Gross train Weight (GTW) which is the maximum permissible weight of the MH plus any trailer.

rooster63 - 2022-04-22 12:19 PM

There is a 2nd plate which says Motorhome 2nd Stage Build which has the same figures.

Is my van plated at 3500kg or is it higher which I believe has implications for when I turn 70. I passed my tear in 1971 so have the luxury of being able to drive more categories st the moment.

Yes your MH is plated to 3,500 kg so is a Private Light Goods vehicle (PLG) and you should be paying something around £260 (iirc) per year road tax and you do not require class C1 to drive it.

Keith.

Much of the difficulty comes from the different terms (and contractions) that are currently used in the UK i(and have been used historically) where vehicle weights are concerned.

For example, this gov.uk link

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

refers to Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) and Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), whereas this link

https://www.hortoncommon.co.uk/motorhome-weight-plates-explained/

uses the term Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass (MTPLM) as well as MAM and GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)

And then there's Mass in Running Order (MIRO), which is not the same as Unladen Weight that (in the UK) affects a motorhome's speed limits.

Archived