Dual mass flywheel- Fiat Ducato

K2 Rum

Ok so the slight flapping noise from the nearside, wasn't a loose belt, even though it sure sounded like. The dealer has said its the above is failing. Reading through tonnes of stuff yesterday it's a common failure on a Ducato- particularly those that are near the 3.5 tonne weight. Ours actually isn't as its a van rather than a M/H but i take the point.

Question1: With only 32000 miles on the clock is this normal (expecting an avalanche of driving tips here about not slipping the clutch)

Question 2: As its been like this for several months, (I was waiting for the service) and its made no difference to how the van drives at all am I being had? Ive driven many cars with dodgy clutches and you know.

Finally, I've been quoted £1600 as the engine and 'box come out. That is painful

Nowadays Nick Fisher is the editor of MMM Magazine’s “Tech Help!” section and can be contacted via the email address

mmmtech@warnersgroup.co.uk

This 2020 MHfacts thread discussed a Ducato-related problem initially put down to a failed dual-mass flywheel (DMF) and later diagnosed as being due to a missing engine mounting-bolt.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/239203-fiat-ducato-2-3-dual-mass-flywheel.html

It’s been the norm for years for vehicles with diesel engines to have a DMF and - although DMFs can a do fail - I’m not aware that the DMF fitted to certain Fiat Ducato models has been unusually failure-prone. (I’m sure Nick would be able to comment on that.)

This link may be worth reading

https://www.phoenixfriction.com/t-symptoms-of-dual-mass-flywheel-failure.aspx

Thanks all.

Nick and I have been in contact and I have to say, he's very thorough in his diagnoses! That's also a very interesting article. As our van had been chipped by a previous owner, it sounds like this may have contributed too.

Archived