Paint colour matching

ColinM50

I've got a few bumper scratches and want a tin of white spray paint to match the paint up. Eldiss can't help, they just give a list of dealers who all tell me to book it in to their workshop and they'll do the job. That's not what I want to do, I'm capable of doing the job just need the right RAL paint code.

Halford's used to do a paint matching service but don't do it anymore

Anybody know how to get the paintcode?

Some bodyshops will be able to match and advise you the paint code but whilst some might sell you a can of paint I doubt it will be in aerosol format.

If Elldis are unable to supply the paint have they also refused to tell you the paint code - charming customer support?

Is it the same as the van body colour, if so that will be on the paint code label, can't remember where that is on a Ducato, door frame or under bonnet maybe?

In any case having it all the same colour has it's advantages!

Can you scrape a bit off and take it into Halfords to match it to a can, or they might let you take a couple of cans outside to match if you can aprk the van in full view of the tills and offer to leave a cash deposit?

Either way I suspect you may well end up painting the whole bumper, or having it sprayed, and if you do make sure you get any left over paint for touching in.You may need to take your own can or jar for this.

ColinM50 - 2022-08-24 4:31 PM

I've got a few bumper scratches and want a tin of white spray paint to match the paint up. Anybody know how to get the paintcode?

If its a Fiat and part of the original body the paint code is contained in the vin number

Mine is 249

You are still putting new paint alongside old, so I have found generic white like Hycote about as good as the original.

If you want it perfect you will have to take the bumper off and spray it.

Several light coats and time to dry in between.

This modern paint is likely to shrivel up if you spray another coat on before the last one is fully dry.

I have always found it a case of more haste less speed with spraying. :$

Then a final coat of clear laquer to get the gloss. B-)

Archived