Fridge fan

rooster63

Just returned from a wonderful trip through France and Spain and the only down side was our Thetford fridge struggled when the temperature was 30c +, 2 days on electric and fridge temp still hovering around 20c. Once the air temperature dropped to low 20s fridge was cooling to around 5c. I know Thetford sell a fan kit for around £45, do they work? Is it worth fitting one? Are they easy to install? I think I would want to have some sort of switching system so that it wasn’t running all the time. Noise?

The frig fitted to my current Adria has fans fitted as standard. The frig part number has a "T" on the end of the part number, I think standing for tropical. My previous Autotrail also had a T rated frig. Both examples worked fine in plus 30c temps. I have not experienced any of the problems I have read about on here from those mh owners with non fan frigs. Based on my experience I would say that a fan kit is a worthy addition if you are heading south in summer.

As a matter of interest last year we travelled around Australia (known here as a lap) approx 24000 klms a big percentage of which was in the north where the temp range is 30- 38C with no frig issues. Cheers,

Have looked at various Youtube videos and the instruction manual on how to fit a fan. Unfortunately when I took the fridge grilles off instead of the fins being easily accessible they are hidden behind the van side walls (although not to the extent that the air flow is impeded) so very difficult to fit the fan in the correct position. I did contact the dealer who sold the van and they quoted £140 to supply and fit the fan, rather a lot. Have contacted a couple of van converters but they aren't interested. The fridge worked fine when the ambient was around 25C. A friend who has a similar van says when it is very hot he takes the grilles off and aims a fan to blow air up around the fins, so I might try that, if as hoped we make it to Spain again next year. Incidentally the fridge worked fine during the heat wave in Wales but that might have been that the side of the van was facing north and there was a stiff breeze blowing so helping disperse the heat. When we were in Spain a couple of times the fridge side of the van was in full sun so probably 40C+ and no breeze to speak of.

Archived