No Gas flow

Sandie

Not much use away from home, unless you carry your bathroom scales,  but digital bathroom scales are good for getting a reasonable idea of gas content. Every gas bottle has the 'tare' or empty bottle weight stamped on it and it is simple maths to deuct this from the total bottle weight.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Not much use away from home, unless you carry your bathroom scales,  but digital bathroom scales are good for getting a reasonable idea of gas content. Every gas bottle has the 'tare' or empty bottle weight stamped on it and it is simple maths to deduct this from the total bottle weight.

I use a cheap spring balance luggage scale to weigh my cylinders. Like these which cost less than a fiver https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Tools-60671-Luggage-Scales/dp/B003KGARK4/

But note that the tare weight of Calor cylinders is stamped in pounds and ounces and so needs converting to kilogrammes to calculate the weight of gas remaining.

Keith.

Good point about pigtails. Easily tested by a good blow through!

Some pigtails have a fine particle filter built in which can become blocked and when this happened to us in Norway I just stuck a sharp object through it, blew it through with a footpump and carried on regardless!

Sandie's Bessacarr E410 is 2005-registered and UK-built motorhomes began to be fitted with 30mbar bulkhead-mounted gas regulators as standard in late-2003. The 'basic' regulator normally installed was a Truma-GOK product an example of which is shown in the 1st attachment below. (This is the regulator Sandie's motohome has.)

To allow a suitably-certificated gas heater to be operated in a moving vehicle in countries that had regulations forbidding this practice (eg. France) a 'safety' system needed to provided, which led to the follow-on Truma "SecuMotion" arrangement shown in the 2nd attachment. This had sever-protection in the gas pigtail (with a green 'setting' push-button) and an anti-leakage gas-flow-sensing regulator carrying a green push-button.

For optimum protection "SecuMotion" regulators needed to be matched to a leisure-vehicle's normal maximum gas-flow and to avoid this complication Truma 'crash sensor' regulators were introduced (example in 3rd attachment) - though the anti-sever gas-pigtail with the green push-button was still required.

I bought a Hobby motorhome in 2005. The 1st Truma-GOK bulkhead-mounted gas regulator failed (blocked) within 12 months and the 2nd one similarly failed a year later. The 3rd regulator survived until I sold the vehicle in 2014. 

This 2007 NCC article may be of interest

https://www.outdoorbits.com/Brochures/Gas_Regulator_Blockages.pdf

truma-bulkhead mounted regulator.jpg

truma secumotion regulator.jpg

truma crash sensor regulator.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Did you solve your lack of gas problem?

I bought a E460 2008 model and when to Snetterton for a weekends racing, only to find I could not get my oven or gas rings to work, after a weekend no cooking when I got home an called a gas man he found that I wasn’t opening the gas rings cover sufficiently (the lid on top) as it has a safety cut off. He opened the lid and it all worked fine. And nothing mentioned in the handbook.

Archived