Air Bag MOT failure

Peter3323

Hello, last year we bought an Autocruise Starburst on a 2005 Peugeot Boxer chassis, it was already MOT'd when we bought it. This year I took it to be MOT'd and it failed, reason for its failure was because the air bag was missing. The MOT tester says that it should be fitted with an air bag or I provide written confirmation that it was manufactured without an air bag. The previous owner had fitted a quick release steering wheel which I think has made it look like the air bag has been removed. I've had another garage (who cannot MOT the van) scan the engine and cannot find any presence of an air bag, there are no wires on the seat belts and nothing other than the horn wires at the steering wheel. The old steering wheel does not have air bag written on it. I've sent a message to Peugeot asking for confirmation if there is an air bag or not, if I don't hear back, I'm going to put the old steering wheel back and take it to the garage who MOT'd it last year.

My question is, has anyone got a 2005 Peugeot Boxer without an air bag, and have you had any issues with the MOT ?

Hi Peter,

Try entering your VIN to one of the free VIN lookup sites such as https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Peugeot/BOXER and you should get the full build history for your Boxer which will tell you if you have SRS or not.

Keith.

PS My 2004 Sprinter based MH does not have SRS and I do not believe it was a legal requirement for fitment to commercial vehicles of this age.

There are pictures online of contemporaneous vehicles both (seemingly) with and without steering wheel airbags.

Those with seem to have "Airbag" prominently emblazoned in the lower spoke. All pictures I can find of 2005 Starbursts (there are more than you might imagine) appear to be devoid of this marking. This appears to be the case with other 2005 conversions (e.g. Auto-Sleepers).

It's not proof, but it supports the theory yours has never had one.

Peter hello

My Ducato based Benimar of 2005 registration vintage also has a removable steering wheel, therefore no airbag. I had the original steering wheel and it did not have an airbag ... I sold the wheel on Ebay.

My van also had no Cat, which has been queried by two garages when I needed a new exhaust, but has not caused a problem. I had a new non-cat exhaust fitted a few years ago. I'm guessing that no cat was present because the base vehicle was a late 2003 vintage? As Keith suggests, research you base vehicle history.

Whatever, I have never had a problem getting an MOT an neither airbag nor cat have ever been mentioned.

I would suggest you challenge that MOT tester/and or change your MOT testing station. 

Jeremy

MOT operators will surely have a database of which vehicles have and have not got or should have an airbag so perhaps you can ask the MOT garage where they got the data for their decision?

To further cloud the situation it is/was not uncommon for converters to buy base vehicles in bulk and the actual build date and spec may differ from the original registration date and required spec, in which case the VIN should clarify the actual build date.

I doubt you will get much, if any, help from Swift who have owned the Autocruise brand for many years now but a Peugeot dealer might be more helpful and should be able to give you a build date and spec from the VIN - and possibly do an MOT?

This 2018 Parkers review of 1994-2006 Peugeot Boxer vehicles

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/peugeot/boxer/1994-review/

has a Safety & Security section that includes the following advice

"Unlike some of its rivals, the Boxer did not offer a driver’s airbag or ABS brakes as standard across the range until much later. Both were on the options list, though, so it’s worth checking on the exact specification before making a purchasing decision."

Thank you for all your comments, I have tried challenging the MOT tester, but he won't budge, he claims he's spoken to VOSA and says he knows he is correct. I have since spoken to the garage who MOT'd it last year and he said he will call me back. Today I have put back the original steering wheel and will now look at taking it to the garage who tested it last year. 

I could not see from the VIN number lookups if it had airbags or not, hopefully Peugeot will get back to me. 

I will let you know how I get on. (i still think that the MOT tester thinks that because a quick release steering wheel has been fitted then the air bag has been removed).

The next step should be to take a copy of the 2006 MMM Magazine review of an Autocruise Starburst (link provided in my last posting) and show this to the MOT tester. 

The review makes it abundantly clear that (at that time) this motorhome model was not marketed with airbags nor with ABS. This omission is referred to twice - once on the review's 2nd page and again in the MMM SUMMARY section on the review's penultimate page.

I WOULD HAVE LIKED

• Airbags and ABS

• A bigger dining table

• Standard fresh water filler

In this instance both the MOT tester and VOSA are wrong.

Morning all.

I'm pleased to say that I have now got my MOT. Peugeot were very good and sent me confirmation that the van does not have air bags, I also spoke to VOSA to confirm that this email from Peugeot was sufficient for the MOT tester to accept it as official confirmation. I took the van down late yesterday afternoon and came away with my MOT certificate. So pleased - we can now go away this month. Thank you for all your advice.

Archived