Fiat/Peugeot Battery Standby Replacement Button

Brian Whitford

Hi, I am trying to buy a replacement button which fits onto the ignition barrel surround-- it is activated by turning the ignition key to the "battery" position and pressing this button .  The button is pressed when isolating  the battery for periods when vehicle is not in use -- the battery actually goes into standby mode
I have searched the web and can purchase the whole ignition barrel with the button but at a high price which in my case is not an option when all i require is the button

Does anyone have one or know where I could get one from? Have tried Fiat & Peugeot direct, main dealers, web, leading motorhome parts/breakers etc all without sucess  although some could supply a new fitting

Thanks for your time, Brian

Brian,

I assume you mean the small button directly on the ignition switch and not a separate battery isolator switch, correct?

If so the only way to obtain a replacement 'button' may be to buy a new ignition switch, or possibly just an ignition barrel depending on which bit the button is actually on.

Keith.

The battery isolator button is shown here

image.jpeg.0f01f9c54f5ef3d1abd2557bf5eff7c1.jpeg

This optional version of the Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer ignition switch was fitted to some Swift Group and Autosleeper motorhomes as well as to some commercial vans. The button (arrowed) will never have been available as a separate part.

How easy is it to remove the button from the switch? Assuming that the button in Brian's switch has broken off, if it's straightforward to extract the button's base from the switch (and Brian still has the broken off upper part) it might be practicable to have a new button 3D-printed.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:43 PM, Keithl said:

Brian,

I assume you mean the small button directly on the ignition switch and not a separate battery isolator switch, correct?

If so the only way to obtain a replacement 'button' may be to buy a new ignition switch, or possibly just an ignition barrel depending on which bit the button is actually on.

Keith.

Hi Keith

thanks for the info, yes you are correct it is the small button

the price for a replacement from Fiat distributor was excessive since all I need was the button

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Derek

Thanks for your advice, I did contact the Seller who advised that this is a retro manufactuered part , ie Not Fiat, and as such he could not guarantee the part was what i needed or would fit -- as he was based in the USA he was reluctant to supply but I very much appreciated his honesty.

Last week I visited a local car breakers yard and was able to find a button, not the correct one but I can use it with Caution

Thanks for your time

Regards, Brian

• 1 month later...

You've said in another posting that your Elddis Autostratus is a 1998 model.

The  ignition-switch button that allowed a Ducato's parking-lights to be left on was discussed in this 2018 MotorHomeFun forum thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ducato-ignition-switch-button-2008.178028/

The feature was described in the Ducato Owner Handbook as follows

image.png.71ccd473a44ee487c876b0825faa7694.png

image.png.4f9da9ff3f9249db4cc3045df5388964.png

As was advised in the MHFun discussion, the parking-lights-button feature was deleted from Ducato's standard specification around 2009 and from then on - if there was a button on the ignition switch - that button was used when it was wished to isolate the vehicle's starter battery.

It's easy enough to distinguish between the two variants. On the drawing above the ignition switch has PARK on it: in the photo below the switch has BATT on it.

image.jpeg.8505159d02fba37266956142cb2ddb64.jpeg

Archived