Wow You Believe It

B Dobson

Been to the suppliers and all wood is down in price again . The wood I mainly use is now 5 pence a metre off the price it was pre-pandemic . I remember when the prices were shooting up during the pandemic because of the building boom and availability . Most of us accepted that was the reason for the price increase but one or three of course blamed Brexit, one was wondering is Brexit now responsible for the cost plummeting?  

I suppose the question you need to answer is how much cheaper it would have been without the extra Brexit red tape, huge increase in delivery costs etc assuming of course it comes from lovely Europe although even if it doesn't come from Europe some costs from whichever business you buy it from will surely be effected by increased costs and red tape from Europe even if its just the rise in the cost of paying hgv drivers a shed load (funny eh) more to drive the truck.

So without Brexit, it might have gone down 10p or 15p.   

42 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

I suppose the question you need to answer is how much cheaper it would have been without the extra Brexit red tape, huge increase in delivery costs etc assuming of course it comes from lovely Europe although even if it doesn't come from Europe some costs from whichever business you buy it from will surely be effected by increased costs and red tape from Europe even if its just the rise in the cost of paying hgv drivers a shed load (funny eh) more to drive the truck.

So without Brexit, it might have gone down 10p or 15p.   

Well we can only wait and see if prices in EU world drop beneath pre-pandemic prices cant we . How much shall we bet they dont?

7 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

Well we can only wait and see if prices in EU world drop beneath pre-pandemic prices cant we . How much shall we bet they dont?

I just don't understand Brexiteer logic. How can you put a load of barriers to trade in place, massively increase costs as a result, hamper trade, severely restrict labour flow, raise wages in certain sectors to compensate and then think its not going to effect costs. I thought you were a businessman like me. You must be able to see no matter what other influences are going on this is an extra burden we now have.

50 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

I just don't understand Brexiteer logic. How can you put a load of barriers to trade in place, massively increase costs as a result, hamper trade, severely restrict labour flow, raise wages in certain sectors to compensate and then think its not going to effect costs. I thought you were a businessman like me. You must be able to see no matter what other influences are going on this is an extra burden we now have.

I wondered about that exact thing whilst in France for 6 weeks this year . I wondered why their food prices are a match and way more on many items to the price of our food goods and thats been happening for the last few years and forgive me for saying but Im not sure they had Brexit? Its interesting you talk of "other influences" because on many things like HGV driver shortages, building material shortages and price increases, hospitality staff shortages etc etc etc etc youve been quite vocal in ignoring "other influences" and been as per normal more than happy to blame ................... Brexit . Regards 

From a UK based timber merchant supplying wood to the building trade;

First the good news: the National Statistics on Timber Price Indices, published in May by Forest Research and the UK Statistics Authority, show timber prices are finally beginning to stabilise after two years of rises.  

However, despite supply increasing, prices remain elevated compared to 2021 and indeed pre-pandemic levels. In addition, the first half of 2022 saw a staggering 34.5% price increase across the UK timber market as a whole. 

Dig deeper and the picture becomes even more complex as the prices of different timbers are rising and falling at different rates. For example, coniferous prices were 38.8% higher in nominal terms in the year to March 2022 compared with the previous year, whereas the average price for softwood sawlog sales was £76.89 per cubic metre overbark in nominal terms in the six-month period to March 2022, a decrease from £79.39 in the six months to September 2021.

https://www.nuneatonrooftruss.co.uk/2022/08/03/timber-prices-2022/#:~:text=However%2C despite supply increasing%2C prices,timber market as a whole.

1 hour ago, B Dobson said:

I wondered about that exact thing whilst in France for 6 weeks this year . I wondered why their food prices are a match and way more on many items to the price of our food goods and thats been happening for the last few years and forgive me for saying but Im not sure they had Brexit? Its interesting you talk of "other influences" because on many things like HGV driver shortages, building material shortages and price increases, hospitality staff shortages etc etc etc etc youve been quite vocal in ignoring "other influences" and been as per normal more than happy to blame ................... Brexit . Regards 

There you go again. Whats the point of comparing whats happening in France?  You do know a third of our goods are priced in Dollars dont you and the pound tanked against the dollar immediately after the Brexit vote and continued to decline.  Brexit also of course affected the Euro Zone to some extent.

Of course I know there have been other influences such as Covid and the war in Ukraine but that just makes it worse. At a time where we have other catastrophic world wide and European problems Brexit only makes that worse, not better.  Without it we probably would be doing a lot better than France and Germany etc.

Denial of the facts is just crackers. 

Just now, Barryd999 said:

There you go again. Whats the point of comparing whats happening in France? 

Well I totally disagree with you Barry, we must look at these things and learn from them.

So with that in mind lets look at food price inflation in September (other months with similar results are available)

UK 14.6% France 9.9%. 

1 hour ago, Barryd999 said:

There you go again. Whats the point of comparing whats happening in France?  You do know a third of our goods are priced in Dollars dont you and the pound tanked against the dollar immediately after the Brexit vote and continued to decline.  Brexit also of course affected the Euro Zone to some extent.

Of course I know there have been other influences such as Covid and the war in Ukraine but that just makes it worse. At a time where we have other catastrophic world wide and European problems Brexit only makes that worse, not better.  Without it we probably would be doing a lot better than France and Germany etc.

Denial of the facts is just crackers. 

"Whats the point of comparing whats happening in France?" Because youve been doing just that comparing us to our EU neighbours since it seems forever . Im sorry that my experiences of Frances high food costs hurt you so, really sorry . You do make one laugh with lines like "Denial of the facts is just crackers" given you come up with "facts" like Brexit and Boris are responsible for every single Covid death in the UK . You're totally going all Hollywood and Disney fantasy again 

1 hour ago, B Dobson said:

"Whats the point of comparing whats happening in France?" Because youve been doing just that comparing us to our EU neighbours since it seems forever . Im sorry that my experiences of Frances high food costs hurt you so, really sorry . You do make one laugh with lines like "Denial of the facts is just crackers" given you come up with "facts" like Brexit and Boris are responsible for every single Covid death in the UK . You're totally going all Hollywood and Disney fantasy again 

The only thing that is Hollywood and Disney fantasy is most of what you just wrote.  "Brexit and Johnson are responsible for every single covid death in the UK"?  Thats a goodun.  You have the cheek to call me Barry Fake news.

Anyway it seems the vast majority of the public are finally seeing the light. 20% of leave voters have now changed their minds about Brexit.  The people are finally starting to see the Emperors clothes for what they are.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/poll-reveals-public-support-for-brexit-at-all-time-low-12749439

2 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

The only thing that is Hollywood and Disney fantasy is most of what you just wrote.  "Brexit and Johnson are responsible for every single covid death in the UK"?  Thats a goodun.  You have the cheek to call me Barry Fake news.

Anyway it seems the vast majority of the public are finally seeing the light. 20% of leave voters have now changed their minds about Brexit.  The people are finally starting to see the Emperors clothes for what they are.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/poll-reveals-public-support-for-brexit-at-all-time-low-12749439

You got the name Barry Fake News because of stuff like your Walt Disney style Covid/Boris/Brexit claims 

47 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

You got the name Barry Fake News because of stuff like your Walt Disney style Covid/Boris/Brexit claims 

No, you and Dave Pelmet (nobody else on the internet ever anywhere) gave me that name in the hope that if you repeated it often enough people would believe it but you can never produce any evidence of said "Fake news".  Instead you twist what I said or just make stuff up yourself like that comment above.

I only speak the truth as I see it. Lies / dishonesty, cheating and disloyalty are my three main pet hates dontcha know.  Thats why I despised Boris Johnson so much you see. 

18 hours ago, colin said:

Well I totally disagree with you Barry, we must look at these things and learn from them.

So with that in mind lets look at food price inflation in September (other months with similar results are available)

UK 14.6% France 9.9%. 

In October we found out how much more expensive food was in France compared to the UK, so I reckon 14.6% our prices will still mean our food costs less, than adding the 9.9% on their prices.

49 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

I think they were estranged when she got the diagnosis but technically he did yes.  Probably not a good idea to start defending his track record with the opposite sex though eh?

How exactly did he leave his already estranged wife when she received her cancer diagnosis? Und pointing out a lie, a rather nasty lie is not defending anyone it's merely showing the low depths the liar will go to in his obsessive campaign against a respected politician . Respect 

4 hours ago, B Dobson said:

How exactly did he leave his already estranged wife when she received her cancer diagnosis? Und pointing out a lie, a rather nasty lie is not defending anyone it's merely showing the low depths the liar will go to in his obsessive campaign against a respected politician . Respect 

Respected politician! 🤣 My mistake, I thought we were talking about Boris Johnson.

11 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

Point of order, that is just a deflection from another lie you got caught spreading.

Its what the papers were saying at the time I believe and technically its true.  Is that it?  A mistake on the truth over when Johnson left or didnt leave his wife who had cancer?  Scraping the barrel there are you not.  Tell you what. Ill give you my house if you can produce as many lies I have told on here than is documented about your hero Johnson. If you lose of course, you have to give me your house. Fancy a bet?

6 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Its what the papers were saying at the time I believe and technically its true.  Is that it?  A mistake on the truth over when Johnson left or didnt leave his wife who had cancer?  Scraping the barrel there are you not.  Tell you what. Ill give you my house if you can produce as many lies I have told on here than is documented about your hero Johnson. If you lose of course, you have to give me your house. Fancy a bet?

I'd say you are the one scraping the barrel of excuses, in order to defend your blatant lies.

So I dont need to place a bet, because Barry Fake News has already lost the argument🤣

4 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

I'd say you are the one scraping the barrel of excuses, in order to defend your blatant lies.

So I dont need to place a bet, because Barry Fake News has already lost the argument🤣

How could I have lost the argument?  I said "I only speak the truth as I see it" and all you could come up with to argue that I dont speak the truth in the seven hundred years we have been posting on here is some story from years ago about whether or not Johnson left his wife when she had cancer which at the time is what was being said.  As it turned out they had already drifted apart and later divorced.  Very desperate attempt indeed.

Archived