French Beef Anyone?

B Dobson

That story is over 20 years old and dates back to just a couple of years after UK beef farmers caused the death of 178 people due to BSE, meanwhile only 27 died in France due to it. So you are highlighting just how much better food is in France.

I love French food wether eating out or cooking in the motor . Same with Germany, Spain, Portugal, Holland or wherever we have been and difficult for some to face also the same for that nasty UK . Difference is I dont claim one is better than the other simply because one is in the EU and another isnt . When we dine out in France more often than not its fish for us and hopefully a beautiful thing called a seafood platter but I always cant help but notice how a lot of French diners eat burger and fries . Heres a piece from The Bible, one valued member claims to "eat what French eat" so that would actually explain a lot given the waist line https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/29/how-france-fell-in-love-with-the-burger . 

3 hours ago, B Dobson said:

Heres a little something from Frances top butcher who claims British beef is best and believe it or not even better than French beef . Now one would imagine a man like that would know his meat wouldnt he? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837245/French-celebrity-butcher-expelled-saying-British-beef-best.html

I think most of the Remoaners on here are experts in selling Porky's🤣  

The French produce and sell more beef than any country in Europe including the UK so they must be doing something right. Im not a big eater of red meat and junk like Burgers of course so its not something I eat a lot of in France.  A nice beef bourguignon perhaps but I have to say the finest beef dishes I have ever tasted have been in Greece.

Again, I guess it depends what and where you eat, buy and shop and what you consider "quality" food to be.  There will be bargain basement rubbish everywhere, even in France.

1 hour ago, Barryd999 said:

The French produce and sell more beef than any country in Europe including the UK so they must be doing something right. Im not a big eater of red meat and junk like Burgers of course so its not something I eat a lot of in France.  A nice beef bourguignon perhaps but I have to say the finest beef dishes I have ever tasted have been in Greece.

Again, I guess it depends what and where you eat, buy and shop and what you consider "quality" food to be.  There will be bargain basement rubbish everywhere, even in France.

Frances top butcher wrong, Barry 'kebab' Dobson right 

1 hour ago, Barryd999 said:

A side issue I know but given you're championing the quality of french food over ours and especially the meat it's surprising you've chosen beef bourguignon as an example given it's made with cheap braising steak and like many 'stews' it's a meal for the poor . You've never struck me as a whizz in the kitchen and maybe that proves it . Its not the price or superior quality of a meat that counts it's how one cooks it . 

49 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

A side issue I know but given you're championing the quality of french food over ours and especially the meat it's surprising you've chosen beef bourguignon as an example given it's made with cheap braising steak and like many 'stews' it's a meal for the poor . You've never struck me as a whizz in the kitchen and maybe that proves it . Its not the price or superior quality of a meat that counts it's how one cooks it . 

Ah well, many excellent dishes were once the dish of the peasant.  Did you know that in the olden days the poor scoffed Salmons? 

Forget burgers and kebabs.

I suggest coming to Italy, twenty-one regions, each with its own cuisine, her own style.

Hundreds of delicacies all different.

From lamb and kid to rabbit and hare.

From wild boar, to chamois and, although not common, horse.

Without of course forgetting veal, cow and pork.

Max

p.s. Don't go to Vicenza though, they say it's famous for cats. 😆

8 minutes ago, mtravel said:

I suggest coming to Italy, twenty-one regions, each with its own cuisine, her own style.

Max

Been many times Max, mainly northern Italy and generally the Alps.  Love it there. 

Im a bit of a French cheese nut though I am afraid so in that department at least, France has the edge but I totally agree otherwise. Excellent food and produce.

8 minutes ago, mtravel said:

Max

Wild Boar sounds interesting as i've never tried that. Had horse meat in Belgium some years ago and quite liked it. It's sold here but extremely rare and not easy to find.

52 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Ah well, many excellent dishes were once the dish of the peasant.  Did you know that in the olden days the poor scoffed Salmons? 

"Ah well" one presumes means you feel a bit of a turnip . A lovely "superior" French turnip though 

30 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

"Ah well" one presumes means you feel a bit of a turnip . A lovely "superior" French turnip though 

Er no. I was simply explaining to you that many top dishes in modern times originate from what was once classed Peasant food.  I have been fortunate enough to have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the  UK and the world over the years and can assure you its not all Heston Blumenthal creations cooked in a Chemistry lab.  This will appeal to you "Cock" au Vin. Also originally a Peasant food. £1000 a pop now at this place. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/feb/07/worlds-most-expensive-food-trend

4 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

Er no. I was simply explaining to you that many top dishes in modern times originate from what was once classed Peasant food.  I have been fortunate enough to have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the  UK and the world over the years and can assure you its not all Heston Blumenthal creations cooked in a Chemistry lab.  This will appeal to you "Cock" au Vin. Also originally a Peasant food. £1000 a pop now at this place. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/feb/07/worlds-most-expensive-food-trend

Yes and the French meal you choose above others is a meal made from a cheap cut of beef,  braising steak . Thats your superior beef and your superior French chicken are the ones that are pre-roasted?. One can tell your a man with fine tastes and one can well imagine the eateries youve been fortunate to eat in . Maybes youve eaten a few too many deserts in those fine dining restaurants . Chuckle 

7 minutes ago, B Dobson said:

Yes and the French meal you choose above others is a meal made from a cheap cut of beef,  braising steak . Thats your superior beef and your superior French chicken are the ones that are pre-roasted?. One can tell your a man with fine tastes and one can well imagine the eateries youve been fortunate to eat in . Maybes youve eaten a few too many deserts in those fine dining restaurants . Chuckle 

I dont think grass fed feather blade (shoulder) beef is exactly cheap but they use it I gather because when cooked over a long period it goes incredibly tender and of course depending on who is cooking it and what else they put in it extremely tasty.  Of course a cut of sirloin is more expensive but on its own rather bland.

I would prefer to buy a roasted chicken of course but a quality one from lovely France.

1 hour ago, Bulletguy said:

Wild Boar sounds interesting as i've never tried that. Had horse meat in Belgium some years ago and quite liked it. It's sold here but extremely rare and not easy to find.

Wild boars. They are becoming a problem overhere.

Originally from the Apennines, they have now invaded Northern Italy.

I don't know if it was due to spontaneous migrations or because they were introduced by stupid hunters.

I own a house above Lake Como with a large garden around and every year I have to repair the fence broken through by them.

Which then devastate everywhere, you have no idea what damage they can do by digging in search of tubers and flower bulbs.

That said, their meat is excellent and the hams are superb.

Better than those of pork which are also a worldwide recognized specialty of regions such as Emilia and especially Friuli (unsurpassed those of San Daniele).

31 minutes ago, mtravel said:

Wild boars. They are becoming a problem overhere.

Originally from the Apennines, they have now invaded Northern Italy.

I don't know if it was due to spontaneous migrations or because they were introduced by stupid hunters.

I own a house above Lake Como with a large garden around and every year I have to repair the fence broken through by them.

Which then devastate everywhere, you have no idea what damage they can do by digging in search of tubers and flower bulbs.

That said, their meat is excellent and the hams are superb.

Better than those of pork which are also a worldwide recognized specialty of regions such as Emilia and especially Friuli (unsurpassed those of San Daniele).

I imagine they are not particularly friendly either if you get in their way?!! 

I just googled and found we have some here "from captive animals that either escaped or were illegally released." Scotland would be an ideal place for them.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/animals/mammals/wild-boar/#:~:text=An estimated 2%2C600 animals are,Wales and North West Scotland.

49 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

I dont think grass fed feather blade (shoulder) beef is exactly cheap but they use it I gather because when cooked over a long period it goes incredibly tender and of course depending on who is cooking it and what else they put in it extremely tasty.  Of course a cut of sirloin is more expensive but on its own rather bland.

I would prefer to buy a roasted chicken of course but a quality one from lovely France.

I dont believe your plat du jour beef bourguignon you had in France many years ago would have had any other meat in it than braising steak, possibly some lardons . Given your love of chippy chips one presumes the "what else they put" with it would be for you chips or French fries, same for your pre-roasted chicken . Lovely 

14 minutes ago, Bulletguy said:

I imagine they are not particularly friendly either if you get in their way?!! 

I just googled and found we have some here "from captive animals that either escaped or were illegally released." Scotland would be an ideal place for them.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/animals/mammals/wild-boar/#:~:text=An estimated 2%2C600 animals are,Wales and North West Scotland.

And they are also very prolific.

A couple of years ago, in the woods I met a little family, a mother and seven children.

These are the dangerous situations, in case the mother feels a danger for the offspring she becomes aggressive. Better to go transparent or run away.

For those who go to the North, a decidedly unsociable animal is the moose that assumes the same aggressive behavior.

And it's about the size of a horse.

Speaking of costs, a kilo of (very fat) moose cheese can cost the equivalent of € 300.

1 hour ago, B Dobson said:

I dont believe your plat du jour beef bourguignon you had in France many years ago would have had any other meat in it than braising steak, possibly some lardons . Given your love of chippy chips one presumes the "what else they put" with it would be for you chips or French fries, same for your pre-roasted chicken . Lovely 

I hate chips from the chip shop as they are inevitably rubbish.

Hardly ever eat them apart from one fantastic posh chippy we found in Devon in the summer.

6 minutes ago, Barryd999 said:

I hate chips from the chip shop as they are inevitably rubbish.

Hardly ever eat them apart from one fantastic posh chippy we found in Devon in the summer.

Must be someone else Im getting confused with whose always happy to claim they are at the chippy . Sometimes one does fall into one by accident doesnt one? Whats a posh chippy and what makes it posh cos ive never seen one? I bet the chips come wrapped in The Guardian  

11 hours ago, B Dobson said:

Must be someone else Im getting confused with whose always happy to claim they are at the chippy . Sometimes one does fall into one by accident doesnt one? Whats a posh chippy and what makes it posh cos ive never seen one? I bet the chips come wrapped in The Guardian  

Posh fish and chips must be like these . They look like any other fish and chips one might buy other than they come in a posh cardboard box . It must be the box . I wonder why they ever stopped wrapping fish and chips in the old newspapers . 

Archived