payload

Pete-B

Evening all,

We've got a Autosleeper Warwick XL and recently bought a little Fiat 500 to tow behind us when we go away. Tow Bars 2 Tow Cars tell us the A frame they fitted will add just 5kg on the tow ball when towing the car.

My question to the mathematicians among us is, if for example I've used up 350kg of my 400kg payload and I take out 100kg of that and put it in the tow car, what difference would that make to the total payload?

Thanks for any help.

With the minimum of information you have posted if you move 100 kg of physical items from your MH to the Toad and then add the 5 kg down load on the hitch you will reduce your MH's weight by 95 kg. ie your current payload of 350 kg will reduce to 255 kg leaving you 145 kg 'spare'.

What you have not discussed is is your Gross TRAIN Weight which has to include the total weight of MH and Toad plus all loose items. Can you stay within the limit stamped in your VIN plate?

Plus, I suspect from your post that you may be concerned that your van is approaching overload (the need to shift 100kg to the toad), so have you weighed the fully laden (as when in use, with everything and everyone on board) van at a weighbridge and obtained a figure for the fully laden rear axle.  If you have fine, and you'll know exactly where you stand, but if not, it would be prudent to do so, as you'll then know exactly where you stand rather than relying on possibly inaccurate "wet finger" estimating.

Thanks for the replies, yes Brian I have been to the the weigh bridge on our way to our next site, I did so fully laden and also towing a trailer I had at the time which was also loaded with our leckie bikes etcThe good lady and I only take what's necessary when we go away so we found we still had 35kgs of payload to spare.

The reason for my question was simply an exercise in what if one day I was sailing a bit close to the wind?

Loading to within 35kg of your maximum permissible mass already seems to me to be sailing fairly close to the wind Pete!!  😉

I think your Warwick will probably be based on the "heavy" chassis, giving front and rear axle load maxima of 2,100kg and 2,400kg respectively - in which case , provided that you stay within your legally permissible 3,500kg MAM there should be relatively little chance of axle overload.

But you are, in effect, loaded to within 1% of your max permissible weight, which is a relatively fine margin for a vehicle in which, depending on how much your running load varies (water, waste, food, liquids, etc.) you may at times at least flirt with legal overload, even if that may not of itself be unsafe.

Archived