Advice needed - Thermal external windscreen cover for Autotrail

kevandali

Hi you lovely people, hope you keeping warm out there. I am on a draught hunt/elimination exercise as we are kipping in the van for a while, while building works are going on at home.

I have closed all vents, put blankets near the brakes, changed the circulation to internal and draped blankets over the front consul but there is.... according to my better half, still a howling gale coming from the front!

I would like advice on which external insulated cover to get?

I have seen them where they cover the windscreen and doors windows as well.

Also.... any other tips and tricks in my draught elimination journey most welcome 🙂

Thanks in advance

Kev and Alison

Have to say I am using a Rainbow Screens thermal cover and it is proving to be a much better fit with better performance than others main suppliers we have had in the past. Not perhaps as cheap as some and unfortunately a nine week wait time but has proved to be well worth it.

we will be undertaking the same exercise in January so feel well prepared.

David

A GOOGLE-search on "Ducato cab draughts" will retrieve plenty of discussions on that topic.

Although an insulated external cover for the cab glass will significantly reduce heat loss through the glass and (if the cover is good one) pretty much eliminate condensation on the inside of the windscreen and side windows, it won't address the draughts.

Some owners have modified the air-vents beneath the cab, but spirou's suggestion to fit a curtain-barrier to separate the cab from the habitation area would be the simplest way to deal with the draughts. 

My 2015 Ducato-based Rapido had insulated ceiling-to-floor cab curtains as standard, but these pulled across in front of the cab seats and draughts still occurred. As spirou advised, the curtains need to stretch across behind the cab seats.

19 hours ago, spirou said:

Any external cover will help, I'd also get an internal curtain, top to bottom, just behind front seats to separate from the uninsulated driving area.

Agreed ...I made my own, but not really to keep the Hab area warm, but more to keep the cab area warm while driving.

Blanking off the hab area means the Ducato heater only has to heat a small volume.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

My only knowledge of external screens is the Taylormade one I have had for the past 10 years. They do a longer version which covers the bonnet vents. Whilst it will keep the van a bit more cosy it will only go so far. Taylormade also do extra covers over the bonnet and wheel arches but unless you have an ongoing need that could be a bit OTT? Could you rig up a heavy curtain behind the cab seats by using an extending curtain rail? That might work.

David

Archived