Motorhome roof access

Alans1949

Unless the handbook says that you can, best not to walk on the roof  to avoid the risk of causing leaks or structural damage.

I always managed with a high pair of steps, or a padded ladder, and a long handled car wash brush.

Car shampoo may be inadequate to shift and discourage green algae and I used to use Flash liquid - other cleaners are available - but this was always frowned on by others who paid for 'special' cleaning liquids.

Its safe to walk or crawl perhaps on our Kontiki roof.  Just not the very front overcab bit.  Ive always done it until the last few years where I now send someone else up to clean it as my knees are shot.  Never had any issues. Check your manual but mine says its safe to go up on it.

I may be wrong, but my perception is that construction methods have changed ostensibly to save weight - but mainly to save cost - and whilst many 'older' designed vans may be safe for roofwalkers it would certainly pay to find out first!

I agree - It's no place for an old fart's kneesup Barry!

Padded ladder ( pipe lagging ) , extendable brush  , buckets at base of ladder  one with shampoo the other with cold water for getting grit of the brush . With extendable brush at max you can dunk into the buckets whilst at the top of the ladder then rinse off with a karcher set at sprinkle. 

I only do mine once a year ( usually after Europe trip in September .) and that suffices.

p.s my knees aren’t shot !

• 2 weeks later...

Archived