Merry Christmas and a happy Motorhoming new year.

Barry Lineker

48 minutes ago, mtravel said:

Remember that Mosley, Churchill and even Edward VIII were Mussolini's admirers.

You don't want to believe everything those Lefty academics who want to rewrite history would have us believe😏

There is no appearance of Churchill’s “greatest law giver” remark on Mussolini prior to Martin Gilbert’s 1976 volume. Clearly, the methodical Sir Martin read and quoted from this very document years ago when researching his book. What he wrote was a model of fairness and balance: 

During the course of his speech Churchill praised “the Roman genius” of Mussolini, whom he described as “the greatest lawgiver among living men,” for his anti-Communist stance, but he rejected Fascism as a model for Britain. “It is not a sign-post which would direct us here,” he said, “for I firmly believe that our long experienced democracy will be able to preserve a parliamentary system of government with whatever modifications may be necessary from both extremes of arbitrary rule.”2 

https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/mussolini-law-giver/

8 hours ago, Barry Lineker said:

You don't want to believe everything those Lefty academics who want to rewrite history would have us believe😏

There is no appearance of Churchill’s “greatest law giver” remark on Mussolini prior to Martin Gilbert’s 1976 volume. Clearly, the methodical Sir Martin read and quoted from this very document years ago when researching his book. What he wrote was a model of fairness and balance: 

During the course of his speech Churchill praised “the Roman genius” of Mussolini, whom he described as “the greatest lawgiver among living men,” for his anti-Communist stance, but he rejected Fascism as a model for Britain. “It is not a sign-post which would direct us here,” he said, “for I firmly believe that our long experienced democracy will be able to preserve a parliamentary system of government with whatever modifications may be necessary from both extremes of arbitrary rule.”2 

https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/mussolini-law-giver/

What dear Winston was searching for on Lake Como in September 1945 ?

Beatiful lanscapes to paint or compromising correspondance with the Duce ?

p.s. Geez. So your governement will use German cars (Audi) instead of Indian ones (Jaguar) ?

Back to scope: right now met eight Brits. Increasing number.

One Elddis and one Autotrail.

The rest on Hymer or Burstner.

1 hour ago, mtravel said:

What dear Winston was searching for on Lake Como in September 1945 ?

Beatiful lanscapes to paint or compromising correspondance with the Duce ?

p.s. Geez. So your governement will use German cars (Audi) instead of Indian ones (Jaguar) ?

Back to scope: right now met eight Brits. Increasing number.

One Elddis and one Autotrail.

The rest on Hymer or Burstner.

Seeing as the Duce was left dangling from a lamp post in April 1945😏

I doubt Churchill was doing anything other than a victory tour🤣

33 minutes ago, Barry Lineker said:

Seeing as the Duce was left dangling from a lamp post in April 1945😏

I doubt Churchill was doing anything other than a victory tour🤣

Without the yankees you would sprache Deutsch.

1945 as well as 1918.

20 hours ago, Barry Lineker said:

There's your answer for why they haven't dissovled😏

Probably ...... but if you have garage space for 4 or 5 cars why would you want to leave any vehicle outside?

Unless you like scraping off ice, or clearing leaves out of your blocked scuttle panel - which, as we all know {and to make it relevant to the new Forum ethos} is an issue with Fiat Ducato's, a very popular base vehicle used by many Motorhome manufacturers😉

1 hour ago, Globebuster1 said:

Probably ...... but if you have garage space for 4 or 5 cars why would you want to leave any vehicle outside?

Unless you like scraping off ice, or clearing leaves out of your blocked scuttle panel - which, as we all know {and to make it relevant to the new Forum ethos} is an issue with Fiat Ducato's, a very popular base vehicle used by many Motorhome manufacturers😉

So have they fixed any of the issues that have dogged the Sevel van range since day 1?🤔

1 hour ago, Barry Lineker said:

So have they fixed any of the issues that have dogged the Sevel van range since day 1?🤔

I doubt it - dodgy airbags, leaky scuttles, but earlier gearbox woes etc sorted. The newer X250/290 range is pretty good - AND they don't rust and rot like the old clapped out Transits, or get nicked so easily like the newer ones.

There once was a guy on here that was convinced his old Tranny Autohome had only survived because it was garaged if I recall, but ironically I do believe he had quite a bit of remedial work done to the cab, even with that precaution.

Of course I could be mistaken, a bit like those who besmirch the great Alfa Romeo brand without any first hand experience.

58 minutes ago, Globebuster1 said:

I doubt it - dodgy airbags, leaky scuttles, but earlier gearbox woes etc sorted. The newer X250/290 range is pretty good - AND they don't rust and rot like the old clapped out Transits, or get nicked so easily like the newer ones.

There once was a guy on here that was convinced his old Tranny Autohome had only survived because it was garaged if I recall, but ironically I do believe he had quite a bit of remedial work done to the cab, even with that precaution.

Of course I could be mistaken, a bit like those who besmirch the great Alfa Romeo brand without any first hand experience.

Don't worry, you are dealing with a fan of Belford with Perkins engine.

Good alternatives to Sevel are Mercedes or Volkswagen, both from Germany.

Smile, Max

Interesting the comments on Fiat Ducato reliability. In eight years of motorhoming I have owned two motorhomes both Ducato base vehicles. A total of 100,000 klms traved in the two with ZERO warranty issues. Both vehicles have been parked up in the open over my ownership. Based on my experience I would not hesitate to buy another Ducato based motorhome. Cheers,

21 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

I know who you refer to, I wonder how many 33 year old Sevel vans are still on the road?

At least the old Transits are still repairable with parts being available and cheap, I wonder if todays vans of any make will still be repairable after just 20 years?😏

1 hour ago, Barry Lineker said:

I know who you refer to, I wonder how many 33 year old Sevel vans are still on the road?

At least the old Transits are still repairable with parts being available and cheap, I wonder if todays vans of any make will still be repairable after just 20 years?😏

I don't know why 33 years is so specific to this thread?

I think the guy you refer to, was his name Pelmetgirl or man? - I can't remember exactly, even built a garage specifically for storing his van - that would seem to be a lot of expense for what would now be an outdated, slow and noisy old wagon [those traits would also apply to any make of the same era] which by even by todays ridiculous used prices won't be worth any more than 6-8k.

But he obviously loves it, which is what it's all about with older vehicles.

I loved my old Hymercamp 55 [Ducato] and it was in immaculate condition when I sold it 10 years ago, and if it's been looked after since, is probably worth 8-10k now. But however I was attached to it, we wanted to travel in quiet comfort, at a decent speed with more modern facilities, and not turn the radio up to drown out all the noise.  

But there are, without doubt, a lot more Talbot Express/Fiat Ducato survivors out there than there are Transits.

I've owned a couple of older Transits in my time and they 'dissolved' as you put it, at an alarming rate that would put any Fiat/Alfa to shame!

I reckon the survival rate of older Sevel products is probably significantly better pro-rata, than the Ford offering - and if you visit mainland Europe, you'll see that there are plenty of them still in regular daily use.

I'm a Ford fan, owned loads in the past - and one of my other classics is a Mk4 RS Turbo which is probably only 60% original, the rest made up of welded in new metal!

As to whether more modern offerings will be repairable in 20 years?

Well, I expect so - old Bongos/Fredas are very well catered for these days, so anything with enough public demand will probably survive quite well.

3 hours ago, Barry Lineker said:

My 1987 (so 35+ years) first overcab bed (Arca Freccia 360) is still around.

Sold to friends, now used by grown sons.

August Spain (6,000km), back from October Fest in Munich used to tour Greece.

Ducato 2.5D (no turbocharger and no troubles).

Neither "pistonite" (Ford refused to admit) like many Trsnsit had. Fix in the 5,000 pound range, a couple multiplied by two (two failures in a short time).

2 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

As to whether more modern offerings will be repairable in 20 years?

Well, I expect so - old Bongos/Fredas are very well catered for these days, so anything with enough public demand will probably survive quite well.

Seeing as life expectancy for vehicles has only increased by 1.25 years in the past nearly 100 years of vehicle production😮

That would appear unlikely, as Mr P would say, "Progress eh?"🤣

Life expectancy of a typical car is 8 years or 200,000 miles

In the 1930s, cars had a life expectancy of 6.75 years

https://housegrail.com/car-longevity-statistics

3 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

I don't know why 33 years is so specific to this thread?...

In Pythagorean Numerology the Number 33 is a Master Number and a higher octave of the number 6. A Master Number indicates great potential to excel to mastery in this lifetime. The number 33 is the healer and cosmic parent energy. It is a rare Path Number and a challenge to reach as it is the number of unconditional love. Those with this number vibration often get in their own way and self sabotage.

The 33/6 suffers from high standards, perfectionism, interfering and can be self righteous when off balance however when balanced they are joyful, uplifting, loving, nurturing, compassionate, healing and creative.

There are plans to revise the purpose of the Chatterbox forum again and only people considered to fall into the balanced 33/6 category described above will be permitted to contribute. Anyone who wishes to to participate will need to apply to the Senior Administrator stating why they believe they qualify. (More details will be published in the near future.)

2 hours ago, Barry Lineker said:

Seeing as life expectancy for vehicles has only increased by 1.25 years in the past nearly 100 years of vehicle production😮

That would appear unlikely, as Mr P would say, "Progress eh?"🤣

Life expectancy of a typical car is 8 years or 200,000 miles

In the 1930s, cars had a life expectancy of 6.75 years

https://housegrail.com/car-longevity-statistics

8 years - 25k per annum then! - probably if you're a salesman, or have a very long commute to work.

A more realistic figure [and trade accepted average] is probably half that - so a modern car could easily last 16 years, as indeed many do.

So, I think there's definitely been progress - a car from the 30's would be due new rings and small end bearings, valve re-grind and a head skim at the end of year 2 [or earlier] based on those figures you quoted 😱🙂

1 hour ago, Derek Uzzell said:

In Pythagorean Numerology the Number 33 is a Master Number and a higher octave of the number 6. A Master Number indicates great potential to excel to mastery in this lifetime. The number 33 is the healer and cosmic parent energy. It is a rare Path Number and a challenge to reach as it is the number of unconditional love. Those with this number vibration often get in their own way and self sabotage.

The 33/6 suffers from high standards, perfectionism, interfering and can be self righteous when off balance however when balanced they are joyful, uplifting, loving, nurturing, compassionate, healing and creative.

There are plans to revise the purpose of the Chatterbox forum again and only people considered to fall into the balanced 33/6 category described above will be permitted to contribute. Anyone who wishes to to participate will need to apply to the Senior Administrator stating why they believe they qualify. (More details will be published in the near future.)

Just the one applicant then......

On 1/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, Globebuster1 said:

8 years - 25k per annum then! - probably if you're a salesman, or have a very long commute to work.

A more realistic figure [and trade accepted average] is probably half that - so a modern car could easily last 16 years, as indeed many do.

So, I think there's definitely been progress - a car from the 30's would be due new rings and small end bearings, valve re-grind and a head skim at the end of year 2 [or earlier] based on those figures you quoted 😱🙂

The difference is the car from the 30's can still be kept on the road today, will it still be possible for todays new cars to be kept on the road in a 100 years time?

Seeing as they are so much more complicated🤔

On 1/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, Derek Uzzell said:

I'm more a fan of Monty Pythagorean😎

2 hours ago, Barry Lineker said:

The difference is the car from the 30's can still be kept on the road today, will it still be possible for todays new cars to be kept on the road in a 100 years time?

Seeing as they are so much more complicated🤔

Progress and longevity are two entirely different things.....and I doubt that the 3 or 4 people viewing this thread will be around to find out!

Archived