Flyscreens

Geeco

My Adria Coral is now one month into year three. Basically a good honest value for money motorhome that has completed some 40,000 kms with only minor issues. My previous motorhome was an Autotrail Tracker FB that we kept for 6 years also a good honest value for money vehicle. Interestingly both examples use the same Flyscreen doors, maybe a job lot as they are both from the Trigano stable. They use cords to control the tension on the mesh. Where the cord goes through the frame they have used a cheap metal eyelet that corrodes and causes the cord to break. On the AT I replaced the screen door four times in six years. The Adria unit failed one month before its second birthday. 
I feel these almost "not fit for purpose" items should not be used. A lot of my touring is close to the ocean and thus corrosion however by using a plastic eyelet rather than a metal item the problem could be eliminated. After all Australia is not the only country with a corrosion issue. I did email AT UK a few years ago but they did not believe there was a problem. 
it is one of those niggles that could turn into a deal breaker on our next purchase. Interested to learn if it is an issue in UK/EUR. Cheers,

4595428B-9768-4487-9194-8AECDF22C65D.jpeg

If you GOOGLE-search on "motorhome door flyscreen cord breakage" you'll find a fair bit of discussion (old and recent) about this issue.

I think your Auto-Trail's habitation-door and flyscreen would have been Dometic Seitz CARA-D products and that may also be the case for your Adria motorhome.

Other habitation-door/flyscreen manufacturers are Hartal and Horrex, and these MIGHT use a different flyscreen cord system that avoids the eyelet corrosion issue you have highlighted. Having said that, motorhome door flyscreens are very vulnerable to damage and cord breakage does not appear to be unique to Dometic doors.

Yes thank you Derek there have  been previous comments on the AT NZ forum re how to restring a  Flyscreen. In fact on my AT I did restring the door on two separate ocassions with a marine sail cloth string that was multi strand. Even that was not a long term fix. Currently I am requesting a warranty replacement . Cheers,

Archived