Waterpump

Hans

My  cold-hot waterpump  works when the the button is on at panel. But sometimes very long even all hot cold tubes closed. When stops a pump? All taps give good pressure of hot and cold. When stops a pump? anyway. All air is out. No sign of a leak in the tubes. But pump renewed already. Because of Lime.  2 years ago.

I shall assume your Westfalia Kepler One camper has a SHURflo Trail King  pressure-sensitive water pump (example here)

SHURflo.jpg.e655bec3bd39fc35e1435eb56813ed3b.jpg

and that the fresh-water tank is under the floor of the camper.

Instructions for SHURflo pumps can be found here

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/content/pdf/shurflo-installation-operation-manual.pdf

and there is a "Troubleshooting" section that includes advice on "PUMP WILL NOT SHUT OFF/RUNS WHEN TAP IS CLOSED".

You could try adjusting the pump's pressure switch (advice in the "Switch Shut-Off" section) to see if that will help. Otherwise, there might be debris inside the pump or internal damage and your pump would need to be disassembled to check if that is the case. It is also possible that the lime-related problem that happened 2 years ago has reoccurred.

Derek thank you. Will report later about the problem.yes the tank is underfloor 50 ltr. and pump. In the corner. Left. The drain valve is in reach from above the tank in the aft corner. Have to find out where the pump sits in that corner. But i have a nice contact  whit the chief tech of my dealer VANOMOBIL.

Derek it has not have shurflo or jasbasco pumps. it just has 50 ltr water tank and 10 ltr gas b0iler. So just on the move whit sub mersible pump inside on the bottom of the tank and a pressure contact on top of the tank, two wires to the pump and two to the water pressure contact on top of the tank. There are two bajonet covers to open these. from the top of the tank.

If you have a submersible pump it will be controlled by a separate pressure switch which will usually be in the pipe fairly close to the pump.  These usually have a knob which can be used to adjust the pressure at which the pump switches on and off.  If you pump is running too long then you may need to reduce the pressure a little.  If you can find the pressure switch and identify it then you should be able to find the maker's instructions for it.  Here is a link to the Whale pressure switch which is used in a lot of caravans and motorhomes.

I'd be a mite surprised if Whale equipment were fitted to Westfalia camper-vans (I think Hans's "Kepler One" was built in Belgium) but who knows?

However, if the vehicle does have a Whale pressure-switch, advice on how to adjust the switch can be read here.

https://www.atlanticcaravans.co.uk/adjust-a-whale-pressure-switch

Truma makes a pressure-switch (APS01) for controlling a submersible water pump (pictures below) - but I believe this switch cannot be adjusted.

image.png.e75d9520ce22248b720f37b46e2cc463.png

image.png.c7f3ec73d2f959207a37f4f5986a1e27.png

and several other manufacturers market pressure switches, including Comet

https://www.comet-pumpen.de/en/products-rv/pumps/inline-pumps/accessories/pressure-switches.html

and Reich (example advert here)

https://www.aandlleisure.co.uk/reich-caravan-motorhome-inline-pressure-switch---rv-camper-boat---612-1040-2041-p.asp

2 hours ago, Dave S said:

If you have a submersible pump it will be controlled by a separate pressure switch which will usually be in the pipe fairly close to the pump.  These usually have a knob which can be used to adjust the pressure at which the pump switches on and off.  If you pump is running too long then you may need to reduce the pressure a little.  If you can find the pressure switch and identify it then you should be able to find the maker's instructions for it.  Here is a link to the Whale pressure switch which is used in a lot of caravans and motorhomes.

Thank you Dave. The knob is just a closure and can  be removed.  The pressure setting is under. Here comes what i find out today in that small corner cabinet. Age 79 ) miniature sticker almost fallen off. pressure switch Wu 7207. Important for adjustment see instruction sheet. manufactured in Uk. Munster Simms Eng. .LTD same marking on the housing of the switch. On top of the tank.

The Whale instructions for the switch are here

https://www.whalepumps.com/rv/siteFiles/resources/docs/resource-library/db_180.25_v2_0211.pdf

The switch is sensitive to voltage, so not the best choice for motorhomes where the voltage of the power-supply to the switch will vary according to whether the supply is from the leisure battery or from the onboard battery charger.

20 hours ago, Hans said:

Was at my dealer today, He said that pressure pumps NOT WHALE like Shurflo have electric contact at the taps hot cold. Keep in mind. They replace about hundred pumps per year.

This is not always true.  Our last caravan had a Whale submersible pump and microswitches on the taps.  Conversly, we have had several boats with Surflo pumps which had a built-in pressure switch.  I wonder if all of the dealer's 100 replacement pumps were really necessary!

1 hour ago, rayc said:

If they were micro switched at the tap it would not be a pressurised system

While it's NORMALLY the case that - if a motorhome's water outlets have micro-switches that have wires attached to them - the water-pump will be the submersible type and not a pressure-sensitive pump (eg. a SHURflo Trail-King), that's not ALWAYS the case.

My 2005 Hobby T-600FC motorhome's water system had a SHURflo Trail-King water-pump and all the water outlets had micro-switches that turned the pump on via a relay. Although this arrangement added complexity, it side-stepped the possibility of the motorhome's fresh-water tank being emptied if the Truma anti-frost valve opened. It also meant that, as the water-pump's 12V power supply was through a relay,  the micro-switches only had to cope with a small current.

I never bothered to explore why Hobby chose that approach. It was only used on Ford Transit-based Hobby models being marketed then and all the Ducato-based Hobby motorhomes had the usual submersible water-pump + micro-switched-taps system. 

24 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

My 2005 Hobby T-600FC motorhome's water system had a SHURflo Trail-King water-pump and all the water outlets had micro-switches that turned the pump on via a relay.

So the pump  wasn't being switched on  by a drop in pressure but by switched power from the micro switches?

The SHURflo water-pump was actually controlled by both means.

When a water outlet was opened, this triggered a relay next to the water-pump and the 12V power-supply through the relay started the pump up. However - being a pressure-sensitive pump - when the pressure in the water system reached the pump's 'cut-off' level, the pump would shut down momentarily even though the water outlet remained open. This was noticeable (to me) when showering, as water was being delivered continuously to the shower-head for several minutes and I was adjusting the water's flow-rate and temperature to my liking. 

Leisure vehicles may have any of the following water system arrangements that include an electric water-pump.

1: Submersible pump controlled by water-outlet micro-switches.

2: Submersible pump controlled by a pressure-sensitive switch.

3: Pressure-sensitive pump controlled by its own integrated pressure-switch.

4: Pressure-sensitive pump controlled by water-outlet micro-switches and the pump's own integrated pressure-switch.

This Practical Motorhome article

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/troubleshoot-your-water-system

mentions that micro-switched water-outlets may be used with pressurised water systems, but this will be the least common of the four arrangements.

Archived