Insulation in Panel vans

Mrs Sea

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2012-12-07 2:40 PM

found the photo of close cell insulation...its on a Possl van i am considering if I do change.

well I cant seem to copy picture but if you click on file of photos in this link it is at the end

http://tinyurl.com/crf2k89

Thanks.

Insulation certainly looks better than my DIY efforts, I must admit :$

(To copy picture from a page like that click 'file' in top left corner of page.

Then 'save page as' in drop down menu.

Click save to save it in the location shown

Click on the file it has saved with the web page to get in and find the photo;)

1760475437_RoofInsulation.jpg.0001be021cb7c8112bbfec0772156212.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave

I have the "Taylor Made" ones and I can categorically state that fitted externally they kill the condensation on the cab windows,but then I think where has it all gone.

Why don't I use them more often, well sometimes on arrival it's cats and dogs, other times on departure it's the same, when retrieved if wet they have to come in the van with all the moisture, and me a lot damper that I started, one one occasion rain was followed by a hard frost, so I had this great big stiff silver board to deal with, Grrrrrrrrrr :-S

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2012-12-07 6:03 PM

pelmetman - 2012-12-07 5:53 PM

peter - 2012-12-07 5:49 PM

I thought about silver screens to stop condensation in the cab of our van, but at £350+ I had second thoughts. Plus you have to store the things somewhere, and they might be wet.

How much? 8-).....................I was thinking of replacing ours as after 22 years they're getting a bit tatty :-S.....................think I'll wait another 20 years :D

That's the price for A Class vans. Coachbuilts are about £85'ish.

Phew :D..............I can afford "ish" (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Mike88 - 2012-12-07 5:56 PM My comments about messing about with wet, mucky material that needed to be stored

We just hang it in the shower ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2012-12-07 4:21 PM

Sorry about the original attempt, pressed submit in error, then edited it to say what I meant to say, and then discovered the edit window had expired before I had finished saying what I wanted.

Really .... well I would NEVER have believed that ... running out of time, well I never! Now who was it who compared you to Maureen Lipman in the BT adverts ... "it's good to talk"!!!! :D ;-)

JudgeMental - 2012-12-07 3:55 PM

maggyd - 2012-12-07 3:14 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-12-07 9:56 AM

Really? Any van I have considered has been fully double glazed with the obvious exception of cab, mine is....so yet another USP of UK vans I guess along with the poor (carpet again) insulation pictured earlier. Jeez if they can't be assed to change the windows what happens in parts you can't see *-)

Actually JM ALL our windows except the cab windows are double glazed, and our removable carpet is as thick as any we have seen on any van.

lucky you it seems :-D you can get all sorts of thermal stuff to insulate PV's. Reimo.de They do silver screen type kit: insulated floor underlay, and a insulated hanging curtain for rear doors, I chatted to some Germans on a stellplatz last year, they had all the kit and went camping year round

As Maggy says, Autocruise vans have double glazed windows all round except for the cab area.

Regarding curtains, I made some for our rear doors and I bet they cost a heck of a lot less than 'official' German ones I should think!

747512775_2-Rearcurtainsanddoorpockets.JPG.1519cbcb60975c15f8d74dc7eec8ccf1.JPG

2016657887_3-Rearlockersclosed.JPG.50c0849fe810321c480bbf80add47252.JPG

1718143089_3-Rearcurtains.JPG.a545119ea8866d88a8c1da55436f8aa8.JPG

Guest JudgeMental
Mmmm...Mel was referring to a silver screen type fully insulated rear cover for hard winter use....I am sure you could run a batch up :-D

Guest pelmetman
Oh dear Mel *-)..............your still exposing your badly gathered curtain in public 8-)...............have you no shame? :D

As a point of interest the pic is a body, not door panel. Note the water fill point.

The pic illustrates that the reinforcing ribs form a better heat path than the easily insulated flat panel.

It' is a good job we are not all the same. I have been using external screens for the last 15 years as they insulate better and only take a minute or so to fit. If they are wet when ready to move unless its actually pouring down I usually drape them over the wing mirrors for a couple of minutes to let them drain off. A A quick up bag them and dump in the shower.

We also have sucker attached internals that are fiddly to fit. Used ocassionally if nightime disturbance considered possible as no need to go outside for removal. The only time needed Sods law applied the exes were on.

We bought the lot from the vans previous owner.

I concur with what autosleeper say about the warwick camper now on our second year of ownership of one.no condensation probs,security better,looking out of a large window almost one way is great,heating o.k.nice padded ceiling.true ,opening large side door in winter is a quick as you can to close job,but all in all,as o.k as our past five coachbuilds. :->

pelmetman - 2012-12-07 7:06 PM

Oh dear Mel *-)..............your still exposing your badly gathered curtain in public 8-)...............have you no shame? :D

Bog off Dave! :D

As it was a 'trial' run to see how it all worked I wasn't too fussy, but now I have a thicker shower curtain pole and some 'proper' rings so it now looks much nicer - I especially took care to ensure my 'pleating' was nice and even! :->

When I get the van out again I'll take a photo just for you to drool over!!!! (lol)

Just a question for you though - seeing as you were previously a roughty-toughty able seaman ... how on earth did you end up being a professional pouffee producer? 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-12-07 8:32 PM

Just a question for you though - seeing as you were previously a roughty-toughty able seaman ... how on earth did you end up being a professional pouffee producer? 8-)

Its my 4 generations of hairdressing genes :$......................they had to come out somewhere :-S

In February and most of March 1909 we lived in our Leisuredrive conversion Transit in Aberdeen.I had made internal insulating panels for the main windows and had external silver screens. Heating was mainly a fan heater run on 1kw or a 500w oil filled convector. No real problems with cold or condensation and Aberdeen can be a pretty cold place. You can be comfortable (if a bit cramped) when you try. We have now gone to a CB but not yet in really cold weather since the cab heater in our Ducato is truly pathetic. Worse even than the old type 2 VW where I had fur lined boots for winter driving..Does not encourage travelling.

Guest pelmetman
bodach - 2012-12-07 8:46 PM

In February and most of March 1909 we lived in our Leisuredrive conversion Transit in Aberdeen.

Cor..................you must be very old :D

JudgeMental - 2012-12-07 7:05 PM

Mmmm...Mel was referring to a silver screen type fully insulated rear cover for hard winter use....I am sure you could run a batch up :-D

Eddie, I've had a look at the Reimo site and can't find anything for the 'rear end', can you give me a link to it please and I'll see what I can knock up! :-D

Guest JudgeMental

I cant see them either, they where on there in the past. they have the floor insulation and silver screens, and insulation that you can make stuff up with. All it was is a silver padded curtain between rear doors and bed. overkill for our type of use, but just shows that PV's can be used in hard winter......

We have found we can be warm and comfy in our van conversion at sub-zero temperatures.

We mostly use a simple mains convector fire at around 1.5kw setting - this only operates for about 20 minutes in each hour. It keeps the inside at 14-18 deg C. overnight.

Ventilation is through an opened mini-Heki roof vent.

We have 25 mm of foam insulation on floor and ceiling and 50mm on the walls. All the doors are insulated - as much as one is able. Investigation after several years use shows no evidence of rust or condensation between the steel panels and insulation.

We use a Sliver Screen and have never had any condensation on the inside of the windscreen.

Heavy curtains between the cab and living space are an excellent idea to keep the warmth in and draughts out.

I see no reason why one shouldn't be comfy down to minus 10 C. Thereafter you're on your own!

Ian L.

Guest JudgeMental
blackfingers - 2012-12-10 3:59 PM

We have found we can be warm and comfy in our van conversion at sub-zero temperatures.

We mostly use a simple mains convector fire at around 1.5kw setting - this only operates for about 20 minutes in each hour. It keeps the inside at 14-18 deg C. overnight.

Ventilation is through an opened mini-Heki roof vent.

We have 25 mm of foam insulation on floor and ceiling and 50mm on the walls. All the doors are insulated - as much as one is able. Investigation after several years use shows no evidence of rust or condensation between the steel panels and insulation.

We use a Sliver Screen and have never had any condensation on the inside of the windscreen.

Heavy curtains between the cab and living space are an excellent idea to keep the warmth in and draughts out.

I see no reason why one shouldn't be comfy down to minus 10 C. Thereafter you're on your own!

Ian L.

what an excellent self build web site you have there! no point hiding it away!lol:-D

your website alone far better then some of the err hmm "bespoke" operations, really good stuff. One point normally in commercial conversions the floor and ceiling tend to have slightly more insulation then walls

http://www.deepredmotorhome.com/index.php

Guest Peter James

Certainly a very interesting site, and attractive van. I have been following it for a long time. http://www.deepredmotorhome.com/index.php

You could probably economize on insulation in the floor, as i guess heat rises, more likely to be lost through the ceiling, and the heat from the sun comes in through the roof too. I just have 18mm exterior softwood ply on the floor, the floor-covering adding to the insulation., and the things on the floor and furniture adding to the insulation too. The professional conversions I have seen have a floor no thicker than mine. Still, more insulation is always better :-)

Archived