Brittany Ferries - travel tips?

BruceM

The first mention of this (at least on motorhome forums) seems to have been on MotorHome Fun on 14 January 2023, when someone reported that a 'pop up' had appeared when a Brittany Ferries booking was being researched

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/brittany-ferries-fitness-to-travel-cert.276476/

That MHFun thread includes the following posting

"Received an e mail back from BF stating that stable conditions with no change in condition or medication in the last four weeks ( prior to sailing ) require no fitness to travel certification "

I can't imagine that BF would be able to identify 'previously healthy' travellers who now have a health issue (and should consequently contact BF about this) but deliberately choose to keep quiet about this. And I'm very doubtful that BF could link future bookings with historical bookings that had a 'disabled' tag. But, if one were to attempt to make a 'disabled' booking, I'd expect this to trigger a demand that BF be contacted.

This UK Civil Aviation Authority link mentions "fitness to fly" and the possibility that a form may need completion 

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/prm/getting-medical-clearance-to-fly/

but I don't recall BF ever issuing a similar warning any time in the past.

21 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

Yes, I've seen that too, and actually it's been in place for quite a while

At this rate they'll only have about 10 passengers on each crossing🙂😱

I've not noticed it before but haven't tried to book any crossings since August last year. When I noticed it this time I stopped the booking and emailed them explaining the extra expense that getting 2 forms completed would cost us our Doctor charges £90 for this so £180 for 2 of us. BF replied saying we'd possibly not need them and to phone them and included a cabin upgrade code to use if we did continue with our booking so worth  a email

medical.enquiries@brittanyferries.com

Update on the new WiFi policy.

I'm currently on Mont St Michel in my cabin.   

1  You connect to the free WiFi via Brittany Ferries Premium.  So it works in cabin.  Before, the free WiFi was only available in public areas.

2. No longer need to input code from ticket.  There isn't one.  Just click the free one hour button.  No stopping or starting.

3 No ID required.

4.  So it's one continuous hour per device. We have two mobiles, two tablets and a laptop on board, so have free access for five hours.

So over all a better service. I've got a spare phone in the MH, so six hours coming home!    

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 8:57 AM, Derek Uzzell said:

A couple of images that may be useful.

The 1st shows the Brittany Ferries Portsmouth arrival area, with the 'by-the-fence' parking mentioned above shown by the red line. A toilet block is within the green oval, but I don't know if this is open overnight.

As will be seen from the 1st image, the row of check-in booths is now covered by a roof with solar panels on it. Some of the booths are new, while others are years old and the 2nd photo shows one of the latter type with a red rectangle indicating the overhang of the booth's roof. This does not present a problem for cars, but potentially it does for motorhomes and I once rubbed the side of my Hobby motorhome along the overhang. Fortunately it was a very gentle caress and the mark on the paint polished out, but, by the end of the holiday season, the roof overhang of most of the booths showed obvious signs of much more serious scraping.

image.png.97a3c2dbe98b90ad31bfdf5dfbc3943f.png

image.png.057f70c8d42e536a676698724a4cfd8d.png

Derek, We ended up taking a night ferry so never had the opportunity to check out the loos to se if they stayed open all night., I am going over again in May so will try to find out then unkless of course someone else can.

Archived