Brittany Ferries - travel tips?

BruceM

We normally travel Dover-Calais but for the first time we’re having to travel Brittany Ferries Portsmouth-Caen.

Any tips or is the service much the same as travelling Dover-Calais but just longer?

We’re travelling over early morning, back late evening , cabins both ways.

We have only ever used Brittany Ferries, mainly due to our location.

We've travelled at least 60 times in the last 20 years - Generally a good experience, although like most things it seems, there has been a decline in some aspects.

The ships are always clean, tidy and well equipped, I'm sure you'll have a lovely trip!

And if you decide to go again, you can use my frequent travellers discount if you PM me!

21 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

We have only ever used Brittany Ferries, mainly due to our location.

We've travelled at least 60 times in the last 20 years - Generally a good experience, although like most things it seems, there has been a decline in some aspects.

The ships are always clean, tidy and well equipped, I'm sure you'll have a lovely trip!

And if you decide to go again, you can use my frequent travellers discount if you PM me!

Many thanks for the feedback and discounts offer. It looks like in the future we’ll be regular users of Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth in the winter and Plymouth in the summer so I’ll investigate frequent travellers membership . Do you have any idea of the cost? I checked the Brittany Ferries website but couldn’t find a cost mentioned, just an invitation to join.

1 hour ago, BruceM said:
Many thanks for the feedback and discounts offer. It looks like in the future we’ll be regular users of Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth in the winter and Plymouth in the summer so I’ll investigate frequent travellers membership . Do you have any idea of the cost? I checked the Brittany Ferries website but couldn’t find a cost mentioned, just an invitation to join.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/about-club-voyage

Disappointed that they've cut back on the free onboard wifi.  On the Portsmouth - Caen you now only get one hour free, which can't be paused and restarted, and only one device.

Not sure if the device limit is per passenger or booking.

Up to last year it was unlimited.

2 hours ago, ColinM50 said:

Globebuster, tried to PM you but seems that feature is inoperable...

I think the problem you had may have been due to the way you attempted to use the PM system

If you click on the avatar of the forum-member you wish to PM,  you should find that what appears has a "Message" button on it (example here)

image.png.0b253f5660e84a37e5342341d9e4e196.png

and if you click on that button and follow the guidance, your PM should send OK.

5 hours ago, ColinM50 said:

Globebuster, tried to PM you but seems that feature is inoperable. If you could email me on one of my rarely used email address with your email, I'd be grateful if you'd let me use your frequent traveller discount. councillormaslen@gmail.com

I've send you a message via the forum - if you don't receive it let me know and I'll use your alternative email

3 hours ago, Keithl said:

Just seen an MMM ad and a link to a free upgrade to Flexi ticket with BF until 28th Feb 2023...

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/offers/ferry/flexi

Yes, annoying that - I booked 3 different crossings for this year back in December, which didn't have the free flexi upgrade - so sometimes you can book too early!

Having said that, BF are always pretty good if you're a FT member 

We have used the Portsmouth ferry many times, last time last May, and always enjoy the trip infact we are intending to go over on January 27th for a couple of weeks. We always go down the evening before arriving about 10 PM and sleep overnight at the terminal so being there ready for the early morning sailing. Didnt go last October because of the fuel problems in France so really looking forward to it. 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:44 AM, derek500 said:

Thanks for the link.

By my reading not sure the maths will work out for us. £120 for the first year, ‘up to 35% discount’ on crossings which means that it might actually be anything from zero to in extremis 35%, and discounts on cabins appear to be only for inside day cabins, ie nothing with a window or for overnight, so not our preference. I think we’d have to make a lot of trips each year to guarantee a significant saving, but then I guess it is a ‘frequent traveller’ scheme.

18 hours ago, GandJP said:

We have used the Portsmouth ferry many times, last time last May, and always enjoy the trip infact we are intending to go over on January 27th for a couple of weeks. We always go down the evening before arriving about 10 PM and sleep overnight at the terminal so being there ready for the early morning sailing. Didnt go last October because of the fuel problems in France so really looking forward to it. 

When you overnight prior to departure do you go through check in and park up in the boarding queue or do you park up in the visitor car park?

Brittany Ferries guidance for the Portsmouth ferry port can be found here

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/ports/portsmouth

The "OTHER PARKING OPPORTUNITIES" section advises

For early morning sailings, you can park your caravan or motorhome in the check-in lanes after midnight. Your vehicle is parked at your own risk and should not be left unattended. No port facilities are open overnight. 

But, from what GandJP has said, Brittany Ferries are not adamant about enforcing the "after midnight" rule.

As an alternative to parking overnight in the check-in lanes, it's often been suggested on this forum that overnighting at Port Solent (about a 5 minute drive from the ferry port) should be quieter and - if one arrives at Portsmouth in the early evening - plenty of facilities should be open.

On 1/11/2023 at 1:29 PM, BruceM said:
When you overnight prior to departure do you go through check in and park up in the boarding queue or do you park up in the visitor car park?

You enter as if you are going to the terminals but as you do so you keep left and park at the side in the actual terminal area and by the fence. We did this in May when we last went so niothing has changed. Just dont arrive until the last vehicle has gone through or at least not until just before. As Derek said you mustn't arrive really early or they will ask you to leave the terminal but they have always been happy to let us stay once all the cars have gone through and yes it can be a little noisy.there. Once the terminal is empty the staff ignore you. 

A couple of images that may be useful.

The 1st shows the Brittany Ferries Portsmouth arrival area, with the 'by-the-fence' parking mentioned above shown by the red line. A toilet block is within the green oval, but I don't know if this is open overnight.

As will be seen from the 1st image, the row of check-in booths is now covered by a roof with solar panels on it. Some of the booths are new, while others are years old and the 2nd photo shows one of the latter type with a red rectangle indicating the overhang of the booth's roof. This does not present a problem for cars, but potentially it does for motorhomes and I once rubbed the side of my Hobby motorhome along the overhang. Fortunately it was a very gentle caress and the mark on the paint polished out, but, by the end of the holiday season, the roof overhang of most of the booths showed obvious signs of much more serious scraping.

image.png.97a3c2dbe98b90ad31bfdf5dfbc3943f.png

image.png.057f70c8d42e536a676698724a4cfd8d.png

2 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

And be careful - if your van is over a certain weight, and a certain age -...

I assume your warning relates to the optional European Breakdown Cover "Voyage Insurance" product Brittany Ferries offers.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/travel-extras/travel-insurance

For BF's 'cruise' ferries, height and length maxima for non-freight vehicles are defined here

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/booking-information/booking-the-correct-vehicle-type 

Vehicle age should be irrelevant on all the BF ferries. There MIGHT be a weight-limit for vehicles travelling on the "Liberation" high speed ferry - though I could no mention of it.

1 hour ago, Derek Uzzell said:

I assume your warning relates to the optional European Breakdown Cover "Voyage Insurance" product Brittany Ferries offers.

No Derek, Globebuster went on to say it was the Portsmouth LEZ...

4 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

And be careful - if your van is over a certain weight, and a certain age -

If you miss the Rudmore roundabout turning to the ferry terminal, you might just creep into the Portsmouth LEZ zone [£50 per day]

On 1/11/2023 at 1:26 PM, BruceM said:

Thanks for the link.

By my reading not sure the maths will work out for us. £120 for the first year, ‘up to 35% discount’ on crossings which means that it might actually be anything from zero to in extremis 35%, and discounts on cabins appear to be only for inside day cabins, ie nothing with a window or for overnight, so not our preference. I think we’d have to make a lot of trips each year to guarantee a significant saving, but then I guess it is a ‘frequent traveller’ scheme.

We're on the old scheme, so 30% all year, all France crossings.  It is £75 though.  We take advantage of the free cabin sailings as we prefer the morning drive to Portsmouth and we overnight at Hermanville-sur-Mer and get an early start the next day.   We use it at least twice a year (three last year), so for us it's worthwhile.

I does seem that BF have moved the goalposts regarding discount, something I wasn't aware of.

When we joined it was a much stricter criteria -  It was the Property Owners Club, and you had to prove that you owned said property, via a utility bill or whatever.

I guess they relaxed this to entice other regular users, and 'defend' that business with some sort of loyalty.

I think, if you have the old POC or Frequent Traveller nothing changes, as Derek says - 30% all year.

It appears that those joining more recently the discounts vary, and they certainly don't look so favourable in high season.

Also they've now introduced a Fit to Travel form to be filled in during booking if You suffer from any of the many complains listed you'll need it filled in by your doctor which will cost quite a lot 

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/travel-information/fit-to-travel-form?error=login_required&state=6efa561e-52c7-485c-8095-20a7dc8c8840

1 hour ago, witzend said:

Also they've now introduced a Fit to Travel form to be filled in during booking if You suffer from any of the many complains listed you'll need it filled in by your doctor which will cost quite a lot 

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/travel-information/fit-to-travel-form?error=login_required&state=6efa561e-52c7-485c-8095-20a7dc8c8840

Yes, I've seen that too, and actually it's been in place for quite a while

At this rate they'll only have about 10 passengers on each crossing🙂😱

I booked 3 trips in early December for '23, but I won't be worrying about it, as I can't see this ever being workable.

Archived