Hearing

Pete-B

Afternoon all,

I'll be 86 this year and the old Dutch and I still enjoy travelling in the van and looking forward to the weather getting a bit warmer before we go off.

Just one problem I'm having and that is my hearing is gradually getting worse and suppose I ought to look at getting some hearing aids at some point. With that in mind, I just wondered if any of you have any experience with the likes of Specsaver aids or the Amplifon ones etc. I've got no idea what the cost of these are so would appreciate any help or guideance on this.

Thanks.

I got mine from the NHS. They work well, they are tailored to your personal hearing problems, and are free! They even give you replacement batteries on request.  In Suffolk they are behind the ear types with a very thin tube going into the ear itself.  Just ask your GP for a referral.

1 hour ago, Akenfield said:

I got mine from the NHS. They work well, they are tailored to your personal hearing problems, and are free! They even give you replacement batteries on request.  In Suffolk they are behind the ear types with a very thin tube going into the ear itself.  Just ask your GP for a referral.

Thanks for that mate

I also got NHS aids. Free and very effective with very good after service.

mike

On 1/24/2023 at 5:58 PM, Akenfield said:

I got my hearing aids via Specsavers  via my doctor NHS brilliant service from Specsavers  all FREE top of the range testing equipment and great Staff and service, regular FREE  re assessments from Specsavers I can walk in to any Specsavers shop  and get FREE Batteries  tubes and Ear pieces any time I need them , Specsavers will even come to my home and service my Ears if needed FREE , I was in a Specsavers  shop in Southampton only Yesterday  getting some  tubes and Batteries and looked at their display of Hearing Aids  that they sell privately and lo and behold the Aides that were on sale were identical to mine, So go to your Doctor and get  him /her to refer you to Specsavers   you know it makes sense ?

My Wife had her hearing tested through specsavers with a NHS referal, free hearing aids given on the day of the test only payment was for ear wax removal the week before the test ( I don't know if it is nationwide but our Drs don't do wax removal anymore unless you pay)

Pete

I’m grateful to Pete-B and all of the contributors, very helpful.

My wife’s brother has some very discreet 2-piece, Bluetooth, smartphone controlled rechargeable aids, that cost him £2200. He still finds large indoor gatherings a bit challenging, but tv watching in company is now more “normal” volume.

I’m coming round to thinking I’ll at least start by going to my GP. (Now there’s a challenge).

Anything too small and discreet may well get lost more easily, and I don’t really like the idea of constantly replacing batteries, even if they are free. Lots to think about.

regards, Albertslad

My wife had earing aids after going to the doctor and he referred her to the NHS.

They were okay. Despite what some people say, they were definitely not as good as the ones she eventually got private. It is wrong and misleading to say that all NHS hearing aids are just as good as the private ones. They aren’t. Not all NHS aids are Bluetooth and the sound quality is not as good. It may be where you are in the country, or it may be due to your particular hearing condition etc.

That isn’t to say you shouldn’t try the NHS first. They are okay for many. My wife put up with them for a while but eventually moved to specsavers. They were approx £3000 but she is delighted and can now hear in situations where she couldn’t before with the NHS ones. 

Archived