Cracked fairings

stevec176

The front curved body panel on my 2016 Rapido have cracked around the attachment screw holes. I reported it last year when it went in for it's service and was told 'that's how it is' but the off side panel has got worse. Can anyone suggest what can be done.

Thanks

20230209_102951.thumb.jpg.093c3ae768f706541ad700b54bbf653d.jpg

If the panel's easy to remove, I'd put some epoxy and fibreglass type bandage on the inside to reinforce the fitting and for the outside, i.e. the bit you see, I think a squirt of silicon or Sikafix carefully smoothed over, would be the quickest and easiest fix

21 hours ago, stevec176 said:

The front curved body panel on my 2016 Rapido have cracked around the attachment screw holes. I reported it last year when it went in for it's service and was told 'that's how it is' but the off side panel has got worse. Can anyone suggest what can be done...

The Rapido panels are made from ABS and a GOOGLE-search on "motorhome abs panels cracking" will retrieve plenty of complaints/comments about this commonplace issue. 

ABS is a great material for getting an inexpensive smooth finish on complex-shaped body panels, but it does not take kindly to localised stress. My 2015 Rapido 640F developed similar minor cracks where 'Henri' had been overenthusiastic with his screwdriver. It grieved me - but not enough to do anything about it.

(If you can live with it, it's best left alone. If you can't live with it, there's every chance that repair attempts will make matters worse.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived