Fuel gauge

johnyard0312

HI all.   My fuel gauge is not working on my 2009 Fiat motorhome. The orange light comes on when I turn it on and the trip works as it counts down the mileage i have left in tank. I suspect it is the fuel gauge clock but before I send the instrument cluster to Cartronix as i have lifetime warranty on the cluster could it be something else.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a common fault with all the dials. My 2008 Fiat will show similar problems if it is left standing for too long over winter. With the fuel gauge it is usually a case of the needle becoming stuck.

I have found it a quick fix to remove the instrument pod, 2 screws, and then release the clips that allow the pod to be split. Then gently touch the needle to free it. It should then work. Alternatively if you have OBDII software like Multiecuscan you can activate the dials from the software. This just gives the dials a sufficient nudge to free them.

A proper fix is to replace the stepper motors that move the dials. So far I have not been able to locate a reliable and reasonable source of the parts.

Just took out instrument cluster and split clocks and moved needle as you said and hay presto it works. Will have to see for how long but I now no its the gauge. If it continues to stick then I will send it back to Cartronix under warranty. Thanks to all.

Hi

Sorry just got to read this 

No need to remove the instrument cluster  (if it's just the needle that is stuck )

Just sweep a magnet to one side of the needle , common fault 

If it continues to stick , repair is necessary 

Regards

On 3/11/2023 at 10:36 AM, johnyard0312 said:

Just took out instrument cluster and split clocks and moved needle as you said and hay presto it works. Will have to see for how long but I now no its the gauge. If it continues to stick then I will send it back to Cartronix under warranty. Thanks to all.

Clock still sticking so I sent clock cluster back to Cartronix on Wednesday £11-15p postage. Clocks arrived back home at 9am this morning (Friday) all fix under warranty and Cartronix paid postage back. 🙂

Archived