12 volt system problem on my 2001 Swift Suntor Millenium 2000 590 RS

Kevan H

Hi All, I previously posted an enquiry about my 12 volt electrics on my Motorhome which was answered with some very useful suggestions. I had a fault with my bathroom light and when I took it out to check it over everything seemed OK, I replaced it and all the power came back on. Unfortunately when I went back to it, the power had gone again.

Once more I went through all the fuses and connections, I could not find anything wrong and I have power up to my switch panel which is showing the battery is fully charged. I would appreciate any feedback on this that anyone can give me. Summer is coming and I want to get back out on the road. Many Thanks, Kevan 

I think the problem may be with the EMC relay which shuts the power supply off from most of the 12v fused circuits when the engine is started, I do not know its location on your Motorhome but if you can find it , it may be near the habitation fuses , or the distribution panel. If you can locate it , it should  be able to be by-passed to confirm if it is the cause of the problem 

The  relay may have a  brown/red , brown/yellow  a white/orange , a red/slate and a red/yellow wires going to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Labby, Very sound advice and I have located my EMC relay. My problem is I have no idea how to bypass it, do I have to do it wire by wire or is there some other way of going about it?

Once again many Thanks for your advice. 

Hello again, acting some very good advice from Labby I located my EMC relay and rather than bypassing it I replaced it with a similar one and "surprise" all my 12 volt electrics came back in my habitat. Can anyone out there tell me why the relay would have gone in the first place and how do I stop it happening again.

Many Thanks,

Kevan

Kevan H , Glad to hear you have your 12v back , If your 12v electrics had worked with a relay power by-pass it would only have indicated that the relay was probably faulty and needed replacing , as you have done , the relay may have been the original  and the power contacts etc inside it worn out/burnt due to age  causing it to fail.

Archived