New Model ducato

Philjp

I have a New 2022 Fiat camper van. It has the electronic dashboard display.

The van as no oil dipstick ,  Oil level is shown on a digital gauge, last September i noticed the gauge was showing only 2 bars. So topped up with 1l of oil . 300 miles later i had an engine warning excessive oil in engine. Only way to remove oil was via sump. 

The van as been stored in my garage most of the winter. Checking it out ready  use. The oil gauge still not moved . Spoke local Fiat commercial garage and booked Van in for diagnostic check, they found that the engine oil level was at 75%level and more checks showed oil sensor not working.So now awaiting delivery of new sensor.

I have heard that it is a common fault on the New model ducato.

If you have a New Model check your Oil gauge is working

The lack of a Ducato oil dipstick was discussed on the MHFun forum late last year.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/series-8-ducato-checking-oil.275663/

and Philip mentioned it here in December 2022

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/56342-ducato-oil-can-warning-lights/

A January 2019 USA article commented

What Led to the Demise of the Dipstick? 

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and some Ford, Cadillac, Lincoln, Chevrolet, Chrysler, and Mazda models, plus others, have eliminated the dipsticks from their vehicles and other manufacturers are going in the same direction with the oil dipstick.

New Ducato is well endowed electronically with plenty of driver 'assist' features that owners are likely to love or loathe. Hopefully the high-tech stuff will prove longer-term reliable, as owners of the Ducato 'X290' range introduced in mid-2014 may recall the high fault rate of the instrument cluster (and the cost of an outside-warranty replacement).

(With TPMS now standard on Ducato, I'm mildly surprised there hasn't been repeated complaints from motorhome owners about hard ride quality.)

Not just these days but back in the 1980’s I had overall supervision of a fleet of 50 cars for community users. One lady had taken her car to the workshop for a minor issue to ge diagnosed and, when asked by the mechanic to ‘pop’ the bonnet, she didn’t know where the bonnet catch was - only had it three years.

David

Sorry, the point was that for many years there have been drivers who never check oil levels - other genders are available!

Edited by david lloyd

38 minutes ago, david lloyd said:

Not just these days but back in the 1980’s I had overall supervision of a fleet of 50 cars for community users. One lady had taken her car to the workshop for a minor issue........

Sure it wasn't the 2000's ? My sister never pops the bonnet, and I suspect she doesn't know where the release catch is (I'm afraid to ask!) And I'm not sure she knows which end of the car the bonnet is, or even cares. That apparently is for the garage to know and not her,  and is what she pays them for.  After all hardly any of us check the oil level in whichever Boeing plane we happen to be a passenger in.🤔 Faith is all LoL.

Edited by simians

37 minutes ago, simians said:

Sure it wasn't the 2000's ? My sister never pops the bonnet, and I suspect she doesn't know where the release catch is (I'm afraid to ask!) And I'm not sure she knows which end of the car the bonnet is, or even cares. That apparently is for the garage to know and not her,  and is what she pays them for.  After all hardly any of us check the oil level in whichever Boeing plane we happen to be a passenger in.🤔 Faith is all LoL.

WHAT??? You mean you have been on an aircraft without checking the oil level??? Now that is faith…….

David

• 7 months later...