LPG supply

Constance

Hello from a Newbie to this site.

I tried to fill up my LPG tanks, (Gaslo) used for fridge/cooking/heating in my PVC only to be told that the one fuel station in the area (Exeter, Devon) that still sells it, can't get supplies and probably won't be able to until next year. 

Is this a problem throughout the UK atm? I go off grid at 2/3 day events I attend so need it especially for the 3 way fridge/freezer. I think I have about 3/4 of the second tank, the first having run out last week. 

I'm away in my van for quite a bit of the summer and only on hookup for about half of the time.

Suggestions would be welcome (other than staying at home!). Should I consider having extra high capacity leisure batteries fitted?

TIA

36 minutes ago, Globebuster1 said:

If you live in the Exeter area, Marquis [Ex Martins] have installed an LPG filling station.

Give them a call to check it's up and running.

I'm sure there must be a way [on-line] to check where LPG is available nation-wide - very probably an app?

We use Autogas app and Fil LPG app both useful in their own way.

Certainly in our area there are no longer any garage suppliers, nearest being close to 30 miles away, used to be 2mls. We have one local supplier, within 5mls, that can only be accessed at certain times and after phone contact, however I understand that will be closing to the public shortly. It does seem harder to obtain LPG than it was, despite some not appearing to have difficulty, but it does seem to depend on the situation within your area, so as we do, you need to keep topped up when you see it.

However I do believe it doesn't bode well for the future.

Bas

I Have always found it more difficult to find gas in the south, south west, not to bad around me in Birmingham and a lot more up north.

Motorway service stations seem to stock it, to be honest, I don't seem to use to much gas but that may change with the cost of electricity these days.

Pete

Thank you for your responses. I will check out Martins. I have looked at various LPG location maps but they weren't very helpful.

Usually I only need to fill up once a year, but that was only going off grid occasionally. 

I gather people who heat their homes using LPG are going without as well, so clearly there is a supply problem.

This seems to work OK and I believe is kept up to date

https://www.autogas.app/

I've just looked at my area that - in 2020 - had 6 Autogas-selling outlets within 10 miles of where I live in Herefordshire. None of these have Autogas available at present (and I'm aware some of them are permanently closed) and the nearest outlet seems to be 15 miles away.

10 hours ago, silverback said:

at least 10 stations around exeter https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/united-kingdom/#map

Although a glance at the website you've provided a link to shows quite a few LPG-selling outlets scattered around Exeter,  the city itself has just three. One of these is Marquis (mentioned by Basil above) and appears to be alive and kicking. Of the remaining two, one is marked "Temporarily out of order" and the other is a Calor  Gas centre for account holders only.

I've not looked any wider around Exeter, but - if what's happened recently in my area is widespread in the UK - a lot of Autogas-selling outlets have closed down or can no longer supply at present.

I checked with Catley's Gas Centre of Devizes, Wiltshire and they told me they have no issues supplying gas but also know that there are gas pumps being taken out. I do find this all a bit worrying because the last thing I want to do is go back to using pre filled bottles at very inflated prices but more of an issue is if this spreads to the continent where filling up is just so easy. A 90 day stay would become nigh on impossible if that was the case.

Archived