1996 Auto-Sleepers campervan - 240V leisure-battery charging problem

AndyMN

Hello.

I have a 12v charging issue in a 1996 Autosleeper campervan. New leisure battery which is now flat but charges while driving as expected but 240v hookup does not charge. The green led on the Zig x7 charger illuminates with the vehicle ignition on and/or engine running but not via ehu. Also, with ignition on/engine running all 12v house equipment works. I thought while engine running only 12v fridge circuit should work! So, can anyone enlighten me on whether I have a 12v system working incorrectly and/or an X7 charger not working as it should?

Thanks in advance if any advice.

• Derek Uzzell changed the title to 1996 Auto-Sleepers campervan - 240V leisure-battery charging problem

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

It might be useful to know which Auto-Sleepers model you have, just in case an O&AL forum-member has or has owned one. Also how long you have owned it.

My first motorhome was a 1996-built Herald Templar that had Zig-made equipment including a X-7 battery-charger.

When motor vehicles started to be fitted with 'safety' systems (eg. ABS brakes) that relied on electronics potentially sensitive to electrical interference, UK motorhome builders began to install an 'isolation' relay (sometimes called an EMC relay) that shut off the motorhome's interior 12V equipment (reading lights, water-pump - but not the fridge) while the vehicle's motor was running.

I'd expect Auto-Sleepers to have been installing an isolation relay in their motorhomes in 1996, but - because having no operable interior lights while travelling can be a real nuisance - it was quite common for motorhome owners to DIY disable their vehicle's isolation relay. This was discussed here in 2017

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/40912-why-disable-the-habitation-12v-electrics-when-the-engine-starts/

So the fact that all the 12V equipment in your motorhome's habitation area works while the vehicle's engine is running could indicate there's a problem or it might not.

Instructions for the Zig X-7 can be found here

https://12voltsdc.webs.com/Zig X7.pdf

I vaguely recall the X-7 battery-charger having an illuminated On/Off switch on its casing and, because my motorhome's charger was hidden in a high-level locker, I added a remote LED to indicate when the charger was operating. I'm guessing that - when the On/Off switch or the LED lit up - this just showed that the charger was receiving 240V power and did not prove that the charger was outputting a 12V charge. Assuming that your X-7 is the original one (and now 27 years old) charger failure shouldn't be too surprising. The first thing to do, then, is to confirm whether or not the charger is outputting 12V and go from there.

The Fount of Wisdom for vintage Auto-Sleepers models will be the Auto-Sleepers Owners Forum (ASOF) that's free to join and participate in.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/

If you are not a ASOF member, it would be worth you joining.

Thank you Derek Uzzell for you response. The model is a Romero and all of what you say I have considered and it makes sense. I'm anticipating a charger issue but before I replace it I thought I'd ask for more experienced opinion. While the wiring installation all looks professional (original and in line with Autosleeper's handbook) I imagine there has been some reimagining of it through the years

Archived