£130K for rusty wheels?

Hi,

so we had a day out at the recent motorhome and campervan show. Lots of lovely stuff to browse and daydream. Until l found my self looking at the outside of a twin axled motorhome with plastic wheel trims, and behind those it had rust showing through on the steel wheels. Inside the same van it had hooks on the back of the shower door that sort of dropped down and then went back in for a flush fit, although they never went back in. l thought the details were poor and shoddy and was a bit shocked they had displayed it like that and stopped looking at that point. When l got outside l looked at the price on the screen. £130+ thousand pounds. I wonder if they sold it.

The wheels on my 2008 X2/50 started rusting withit a few months.  I brush painted them (you don't notice the brushmarks down there) with some cheap silver paint and the rust was coming through again within a few months.  So I did them with Hammerite smooth silver which covered far better and lasted years.

But the X2/90 is 2 years old and not a speck of rust on the wheels.  It appears Fiat are painting them better after they had complaints.

£130,000 and that's probably for the midrange model 🙂 The budget model lists the plastic wheel trims as an optional upgrade. It's £150,000 for the Prestige model with pukka veneer in lieu of photo finish vinyl surfaces etc.

As for workmanship (or lack of) Prestige models get constructed by time served craftspersons, the rest get anyone from the gig workforce, could even be a caravan owner with a pathological hatred of motorhomers, judging by the outcome of some examples of their labours. 😁

Out of interest what make was it? I recall years ago looking at a new American RV at Peterborough show. The red tassels over the windows inside were hanging off where the glue had decided it was too much like hard work staying where it should. One under-sofa wood bed frame that looked as if it was made from used pallets had a 10" (they do inches over there, so I don't know what that would be in metric) splinter sticking out right were it would get your leg artery if you walked into it.

I have seen British made motorhomes, brand new in showrooms with interior trim peeling off as well.

Archived