Securing bikes in garage of motorhome

swaythling5

I carry two e bikes in the garage of my motorhome. 

I have to remove the front wheel of 1 bike to get it to fit through door, any suggestions on how to protect front forks and stop them moving.. I was thinking of a small fixing I can make to floor, any helpful suggestions ? 

My wife's bike fits in fine and goes in first

Can't find the link at the moment but you can obtain a bracket that has a wheel spindle attached that accepts your forks as if it were the wheel. There's a large wing nut to lock in position. They are made for transporting bikes in vans and I believe it was on a 4x4 accessory site but can't currently find which one.

Hope that may help.

Bas

• Keithl changed the title to Securing bikes in garage of motorhome
1 hour ago, Basil said:

Can't find the link at the moment but you can obtain a bracket that has a wheel spindle attached that accepts your forks as if it were the wheel. There's a large wing nut to lock in position. They are made for transporting bikes in vans and I believe it was on a 4x4 accessory site but can't currently find which one.

Hope that may help.

Bas

Something like these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/bike-fork-mount/s?k=bike+fork+mount

image.thumb.png.2f4fac63cf34392694ac88c4ca3657b5.png

If you have rails each side of the garage and enough garage height then raising the bikes up on cross-beams between the rails gives both a very flexible solution (the fork mounts can be repositioned on the beams without drilling holes in the garage floor plus the beams can move in the rails) and good storage beneath the bikes.

As spirou mentions there are no so many bike front axle specs. that it's important to get matching fork mounts. I had to make my own 75mm mounts for our folding bikes as I couldn't find any to buy.

Capture.JPG

On 4/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, Basil said:

Well done Keith, that was exactly what I had seen a long while back, except the one I saw had a wing nut that screwed tight. That one looks even better.

Bas

Though I would think it absolutely essential to remove the batteries from the bikes if using that type of bracket.  Not for electrical reasons, but because of the weight of the batteries.

If the only restraints for the bikes are to be the front fork skewers, with the bikes mounted transversely (as I assume they must be) in the van, anything approaching hard braking seems likely to translate into a significant and unusual load being transmitted to the fork ends, and possibly parts of the frame, if the batteries were present.

Depending on the height at which the batteries are mounted, the potential leverage at the fork ends seems to me liable to exceed what their design foresaw.

There is also the possibility, in extreme circumstances, of the skewer pulling free from the mounting block potentially leading to damage to the fork ends.

So, the lighter the bikes can be made before they are clamped in, the lower the risk of damage.

Alternatively, (additionally, if you like belts and braces 🙂) restraining the bikes with webbing straps or similar between the saddle pillars and the rear garage wall, if feasible, would provide an added safeguard.

I have a "professional" fork holder solution I fitted shortly after buying the current 'van.

Like the OP, the two electric bikes will only fit in the garage when lowered by removing the front wheel. In addition, Hymer advise against drilling the garage floor, making DIY solutions unattractive.

Hymer themselves provide an "accessory" solution which bolts to the transverse securing/lashing rails already fitted fore and aft in the garage.

It wasn't cheap, but research found the German manufacturer, from whom I was able to source rather cheaper (and rather more cheaply and lighter than less attractive "conventional" solutions from, say Fiamma).

The various components of a modular system provide significant options on installation, and can cope with any fork type. Tailorable to most garages with lashing rails, and many cars etc.

Mine has a garage N-S rail with fittings tailored to the factory-fitted securing rails, one short 90 degree attachment allowing staggering of the bikes, (no handlebar clash), and a couple fork holders.

In aluminium, the whole is very rigid and secure, but the bikes are still secured to eyes in the lashing rail, and padded against the forward wall of the garage (simple polystyrene blocks).

They are made by Radfazz (radfazz.de), though I believe there are other similar German systems. Unfortunately, post-Brexit, like many such continental accessories, almost impossible to get delivered to the UK 😒

Archived