Rot discovered in the floor.

andekm

We have a 1997 Fiat Ducato LMC Liberty. We have discovered some rot in the rear passenger corner. What is the process/steps we need to take to fix something like this? Your advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Matt

image.thumb.jpeg.154e351b4f71a829e7b6762e04c4ec55.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.040581feb044c5f0ef694b8ed0e125ef.jpeg

LMC models are generally well built - but.....it's 26 years old now.

You need to check ALL the seams, joints and side skirts as I would suspect [given the age of the van] that some of the sealant has dried and cracked.

Judging by the stain further up the wall I suspect the point of entry is further up, however it is not uncommon for the floors to rot from underneath either, especially where exposed to spray from the wheels.

Get yourself a cheap damp meter, and have a thorough check over, including underneath.

These jobs are often like opening a can of worms, but you might be lucky and the ingress is isolated.

At that age, and with the older build techniques used of that era, I'd be inclined to remove any suspect aluminium and GRP extrusions/mouldings and re-bed them where possible.

There are many of examples of damp problems on the 'net [even on this forum if you search] and how people have resolved them - some being monumental tasks, I know as I've done a couple myself over the years.

On 5/11/2023 at 5:30 PM, Globebuster1 said:

I would suspect [given the age of the van] that some of the sealant has dried and cracked.

agreed - should have used Plumbers Mait 😉

I think its basically a matter of cutting out and replacing the rotten areas, then sealing to keep water out.  Timber won't rot as long as its kept dry.

Multi tools like this

https://www.toolstation.com/makita-320w-multi-cutter/p28512?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dc&pcrid=&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_eiBhBGEiwA15gLN46YhtCoztfdj81UIpjkzXtrATWWO_NyliOg6pC-SUUirWnUqu1WiRoCFqQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

are great for cutting out the rotten wood - like cutting floorboard along the centre line of the joist without going through the joist beneath

Makita (like in the link above) and De Walt are among the best, but being a cheapskate I have one that was a Lidl / Aldi special buy that does the job OK 🙂

Archived