Adding external shunt to EBL99

jodunel

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 2007 Hymer with an EBL99. I want to add an external shunt with display module. While looking at the current wiring, there is no ground wire from the leisure battery to chassis. Is this by design?

There are two wires from the negative block at the back of the EBL99, one goes to the leisure battery and the other to the starter battery.  The instruction manual for the EBL99 says the leisure battery negative must be connected externally to the starter battery negative.

1. Can I remove the negative cables from the EBL99 to the batteries.

2. Run a ground wire from negative terminal on leisure battery to chassis 

3. Run the negative terminal on EBL99 to a common ground? 

4. Connect any other cables that are connected to the negative side of the leisure battery to the common ground.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I have  only just noticed your post, and as the hour is late, I will try to be brief.

The choice of shunt location should be made to obtain the most convenient route for the monitor cable, but with the NASA system mounting the shunt close to the electroblock may require modifications to the monitor positive supply, which should be connected to habitation battery positive via a low current inline fuse.

No matter where you wish to locate your shunt, electrically it must be connected to the habitation battery negative only, at one end.  The other end of the shunt should be connected directly to the electroblock and to the starter battery negative, or chassis.

If the shunt is to be located close to the electroblock, disconnect the habitation battery negative cable from the electroblock, and connect to the shunt.  Add new short linking cable from the other end of the shunt to the vacated position on the electroblock.

Alternatively if you wish to fit the shunt close to the battery (some kits are designed for this), disconnect the habitation battery negative, and connect cable to the shunt. Add new short cable between battery negative and shunt.

I have only recently fitted a NASA Compact  monitor and shunt to my PVC, using a home made cable assembly.

If my explanation is not clear please ask for clarification.

Brief????? Phew!!!!

Alan

Edited by Alanb
minor addition

Can I ask why a monitor is needed? I fitted a MT 50 to my solar system and all it does is worries me every time I check it, so now I try not to look and just go by the on board voltmeter. I have disconnected the EBL from mains power so when on EHU use a dedicated AGM battery charger. 

You don't specify the make of shunt but most are installed between the house battery negative post and the rest of the system. No other connection should be made to the battery negative post, other than a second battery in parallel.

If you are confident the existing cable from the house, leisure, battery, negative terminal is the only connection, then Install the shunt in series with cable. Don't worry about a chassis connection. Ideally position the shunt near the battery,  as a positive connection from that battery is needed to power the shunt circuits and provide voltage information.

If you indicate the model of shunt you are installing I can advise on setup if required. 

Mike