'When Motorhoming Goes Horribly Wrong'

John52

WeIl I find Paul Merton & Suki Webster's programmes entertaining, some people don't

But then I like factory tours, but can't stand Greg Wallace programmes (because he doesn't know when to shut up or back off, making inane comments and interfering with the factory workers when they were saying or doing something interesting)

Thats life I suppose - you get on with A, but you don't get on with B

Well things did go horribly wrong as it turned out - motorhomes floating down the river, rodent and spider infestations.  Doesn't get much more horrible than that without people getting hurt - which they never show on these vehicle accident type programmes. 

Perhaps they should show people getting hurt then it might make them more careful?

Cheap as chips TV, typical Channel 5, most (all?) of these clips can be found on youtube or similar, chuck in a few no nothing 'celebs' and there you go.

Driver: "oh we're stuck in the sand"

Celebs (one after the other) "oh he's stuck in the sand" repeat for all the other clips etc.. about 15 minutes of filming (if that) spun out to over an hour.. absolute rubbish.

I hadn't seen the clips before .. didn't really learn anything because I already knew not to drive on soft sand etc.  Found it entertaining though.  Fortunately had recorded it so could freeze frame to look at the interesting scenery.  Freeze frame doesn't work so well on catch up because, very annoyngly, the picture dulls and gets covered in lettering when you freeze frame on catch up to look at the scenery.  WTF is the point of that?

I wondered if the Frenchman stuck on a narrow street in Fowey had the same satnav as me.  It takes me off the main roads onto narrow Cornish lanes I could get stuck on. Presumably thinks the narrow lanes are faster than main roads with their 30, 40, 50 speed lmits because the narrow lanes have a speed limit of 60mph 🙄

2010, campsite near Hexham.
We enter, below us a meadow of a beautiful phosphorescent green.
I see a paved driveway, I think I'll get there but I must have dreamed it.
Anna yelled something but I didn't listen to her and plunged into it.
Kind of rice field, no way to go back up even if the slope is not excessive.
I move, I even take a few run-ups but in the end the torque to the wheels is too much and they skid.
Brits look at me from the windows of caravans and mobile homes.
One comes out with some kind of Sahara-type sledges, I think he wants to lend them to me, but no, he sticks them under the caravan.
Anna is furious, I'm quite calm, at most I'll put the snow chains on.
But first I will try to get out into reverse so that the weight stay on the front wheels.
It works.
Perfidious albions, the raspberry I blow at you is completely deserved.
Anna will deny but I guarantee I enjoyed it.

I heard some TV shows pay £250 or something like that for clips sent in, but I can't see this stuff staged for that sort of money. Million dollar motorhomes floating down the river or getting their roofs ripped off on low bridges?  A ship moving back at the moment a motorhome drives on to its loading ramp!! - if all that was staged I would have expected a better camera shot than the dashcam of the following vehicle.

I suppose getting stuck on sand could have been staged for that sort of money.

But there are many beaches where motorhomes park on the sand - there were other motorhomes parked nearby on the sand - presumably they got there when it was light so they could see where the soft sand was?

Make of it what you will, but the Fowey incident happened or was reported at 20:58, 22 June 2018. So I agree with (Les W) . Someone in Channel 5 is gathering clips to make a programme for people to watch, praise it, get good critique and make loads of money out of it. Shame I don't work for Channel 5; then I could own a Million Pound Motorhome!!!!!!

2 hours ago, ChasB said:

. Someone in Channel 5 is gathering clips to make a programme for people to watch, praise it, get good critique and make loads of money out of it. Shame I don't work for Channel 5; then I could own a Million Pound Motorhome!!!!!!

I think its TV production companies isn't it?

Like they used to make police drama TV series.  Then Alistair Stewart realised how much cheaper it would be to send a man and camera out with the real police.  Made his fortune out of it.  Of course the police don't take just anyone out with them.  Has to be someone who shows them in a good light etc  Same with all the Baliff, car sales auction and other fly on the wall TV series.  I don't suppose they are that true to life - we never saw any of the bad stuff that obviously goes on.  Just entertainment and good PR for the company letting the TV company in.

8 hours ago, Les W said:

Cheap as chips TV, typical Channel 5, most (all?) of these clips can be found on youtube or similar, chuck in a few no nothing 'celebs' and there you go.

Celebs (one after the other) "oh he's stuck in the sand" repeat for all the other clips etc.. about 15 minutes of filming (if that) spun out to over an hour.. absolute rubbish.

Agree.  Pretty awful wasn't it.

So much repetition - they had just about enough film to make a 15 ( or maybe 20 ) minute  programme - .

Kept repeating how easy it was to get up and go at a moments notice - stop where you like - when you like - didn't sound much like the U.K. to me.

Was " disposal of waste " ever mentioned ?  I may have missed it because I kept fast forwarding.

🙂

57 minutes ago, malc d said:

Was " disposal of waste " ever mentioned ?  I may have missed it because I kept fast forwarding.

No I don't think it was mentioned malc.  Which is probably for the best as I mentioned on here how I dispose of waste and never heard the last of it.  Whenever someone was losing an argument they would change the subject to how I dispose of waste.

English water companies are pumping millions of gallons of untreated sewage into the rivers and beaches, but woe betide the motorhomer who admits to pouring waste down the drain into the rivers - the same place it would end up if you flushed it down the toilet apparently.  Wheras if you don't tell them how you dispose of waste they can't moan about it.

48 minutes ago, malc d said:

Kept repeating how easy it was to get up and go at a moments notice - stop where you like - when you like - didn't sound much like the U.K. to me.

Same here Malc

I suppose thats what you get when you ask celebrities instead of real Motorhomers

Perhaps they struggle to get real Motorhomers to take part in it - would you?

At least they showed reality when someone did just that (stop where you like - when you like) and got their windows put in.

9 hours ago, John52 said:

Same here Malc

I suppose thats what you get when you ask celebrities instead of real Motorhomers

Perhaps they struggle to get real Motorhomers to take part in it - would you?

At least they showed reality when someone did just that (stop where you like - when you like) and got their windows put in.

I think the only real motorhomers were the couple who stopped overnight and had a brick thrown through heir window.

I thought the accident prone guy was a bit of a "You've been framed" guy. Falling off a step ladder whilst cleaning his motorhome, falling into a lake, and getting his motorhome stuck on a gate whilst reversing.

May be the cynic in me

I dunno - but I have seen a lot of motorhomes with long rear overhangs and rear end damage where it has swung out and hit something.  Seen it happen myself once with a much shorter overhang X2/50 maxi van.  Pulled out from the kerb and the rear end swung the other way and scraped a lamp post.   No real damage though because a steel van is much better than coachbuilt at absorbing scrapes like that.

3 hours ago, Thai Bry said:

I think the only real motorhomers were the couple who stopped overnight and had a brick thrown through heir window.

I thought the accident prone guy was a bit of a "You've been framed" guy. Falling off a step ladder whilst cleaning his motorhome, falling into a lake, and getting his motorhome stuck on a gate whilst reversing.

May be the cynic in me

If the mans' passenger had got out and given him some directions he would be much less likely to hit the gate.

Maybe  he is one of those " techies " who has faith in gadgets (  in his case - reversing cameras )  and doesn't see the need for human intervention.

Makes me wonder where his sat-nav has taken him.

🙂

On 16/07/2023 at 13:23, John52 said:

WeIl I find Paul Merton & Suki Webster's programmes entertaining, some people don't

But then I like factory tours, but can't stand Greg Wallace programmes (because he doesn't know when to shut up or back off, making inane comments and interfering with the factory workers when they were saying or doing something interesting)

Thats life I suppose - you get on with A, but you don't get on with B

Seems I am out of date as usual - I didn't know Gregg Wallace had gone

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/22511980/real-reason-gregg-wallace-quit-inside-the-factory/#:~:text=The star previously said he,is autistic and non-verbal.

On 17/07/2023 at 12:01, Les W said:

Cheap as Chips ?

Have you actually bough chips lately ? 😀

Archived