Buying a motorhome in Europe to tour Europe for 1 year

Euro_Tour_2023

Hello,

My wife and I are seeking advice and knowledge regarding purchasing a motorhome (LHD - Roller Team 7.4m) in Europe (probably Holland, Germany, or Belgium) to tour around Europe for a long extended trip. We don't intend to import the motorhome back to the UK, but rather sell the vehicle (country of purchase) after the trip. We both have dual nationality (Dutch and UK) and currently live in the UK.

We can find information regarding the purchase of a motorhome for the purpose of importing the vehicle but not if you intend to stay and tour abroad. We think that the main issues are:

• Registering the motorhome - as a non-resident (Mother-law lives in the Netherlands so that could be useful)
  • Insurance for the year's journey
  • Road-side assistance
  • Road Tax and MOT (second-hand motorhome)

All information, and advice (do's and don't's) would be most gratefully received and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

JR

Don't know about Netherlands and their insurance (hopefully not as messed up as UK) but here in Slovenia the easiest solution would be that your mother in law is the official owner because insurance is tied to the vehicle not person (e.g. my wife's scottish relatives could legally drive my car when visiting).

A quick check of the rules here (possibly EU wide?) suggest nobody cares about your country of residence, as long as the vehicle has all the required papers and all duties are paid.

Many thanks "Spirou". It looks like that is the easiest way to tick all the legal boxes (requirements) and still make use of any financial benefits when purchasing in Europe.

Just have to convince the mother-in-law or sister that we will not do anything illegal/stupid whilst the vehicle is in their name.

Archived