fixed bed under 40k

cas66

Hello new on here not sure if this is the right forum or not.

So be gentle.

I am looking to purchase our first motorhome ( always had campervans ).

Looking to purchase in march april next year so doing the ground work. I am looking for either fixed singles or island bed.

I like the look of the autotrail frontier Delaware and Savannah . Was wondering what your thoughts are or any alternatives to look at.

Any help would be much appreciated .  

It's likely that, for £40k, you'd be looking at a Delaware or Savannah built no later than 2012 - so you'd need to be VERY careful to ensure that the motorhome was in good condition and not suffering badly from age-related issues (particularly damp problems).

As both of these models are large (over 7.5m long) they are also heavy (with a Gross Vehicle Weight of at least 4250kg) so anyone who will drive the vehicle would need a C1 driving-licence entitlement.

You say this will be your first MH after always having had campervans so do you have any experience of driving a vehicle as large as a 7.5 m long MH? Also how do you plan on using your new MH as at that length parking will be very restricted in public car parks and/or tourist attractions and you may end up finding you need alternative transport such as a towed car or bicycles (electric or pedal).

We have a 6.5 m long AT Cheyenne and use it for daily sightseeing when away and usually manage to park with a bit of forward planning but many of the places we park would not accommodate a 7.5 m long MH.

My suggestion would be to go to a large dealer or one of the Warners outdoor shows (eg Malvern later this month) and look at as many layouts as you can to see how easy access to the bed is and how the layout would work for you.

Keith.

Thanks we are going to Malvern to have a good look around.

We find that we now travel around our local area and stay on fully serviced pitches.

Motorhome I presume would be easier moving forward as there is little to set up on arrival.

Traveling around local area either on public transport or electric bike.

Would there be any recommendations of a smaller van with easy access fixed bed (s) for the money I have to spend ?

If it is any help to you, our first van was a Le Voyageur (Part of Pilote) and at 7.3m seemingly a bit of a beast! You soon get used to allowing extra space for over taking and I found that it calmed my driving behaviour which was a good thing! It had a double bed which moved electrically to give more space and with this van we fell in love with motor-homing. Le Voyageur were fantastic in their servicing and guarantee work (at the factory) in France. Tears flowed when we changed to an 8.3 van (Niesmann and Bischoff) which after five years has proved to be comfortable and reliable. Twin beds now, but that doesn't stop my wife from whacking me when I snore!!

So, when you finally decide on your layout do consider the "high end" vans, obviously used, but generally better screwed together than cheaper models. Always check the payload available as with more space, more "can't live without" stuff finds its way onto the van.

I should also mention that we live in Spain and the larger van is so much better suited for travelling abroad. We were here in the UK for a wedding in North Devon, and taking our beastie down those small narrow roads was not a lot of fun. Also it generally rules out touring in the UK due to size, so your intended type of use will also affect your decision.

Finally, good luck with the search.

Ainsley

Archived